Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Administrator
16,874 Posts
Umm... yea an educated guess.

Just like a top fuel engine. No one knows for sure. All they can do is calculate how much power was produced determined by how much fuel was used during the run.

But how much of that went out the exhaust unburned?

·
Distinguished Member
5,771 Posts
In the early 90's, I did some consulting on a few similar engines. They were still V-12's but about 1/3 the size of those pictured. Originally they were designed for locomotive power but in the application I worked on they were used for pumping natural gas and also burned it for fuel. Were kinda cool in that they were both turbo and supercharged. The turbocharger fed the inlet of the supercharger.

·
Administrator
16,874 Posts
In the early 90's, I did some consulting on a few similar engines. They were still V-12's but about 1/3 the size of those pictured. Originally they were designed for locomotive power but in the application I worked on they were used for pumping natural gas and also burned it for fuel. Were kinda cool in that they were both turbo and supercharged. The turbocharger fed the inlet of the supercharger.
Waukesha?

·
Premium Member
5,488 Posts
Goes in something like one of those huge container ships.
"Costs more than the ship it goes into" and "burns 1660 gallons an hour"

And while it does seem unlikely that it will break, I bet that thing still has an achilies heel, and when it quits off the coast of Somalia and there is no second engine to keep going, we will see how much it is really worth.
BTW...is that Asian crank a Scat or Eagle? :)sphss

·
Sit N' Spin
1,423 Posts
5,149,020 ft lbs @ 102RPM based on the mathematical calculation of Torque = (HP X 5252) / 102 RPM with HP=100,000.

The above equation is the HP=(Torque X RPM) / 5252 equation flipped around to give a torque value.

Basically...a SHITLOAD of fuckin' torque! :D

·
Distinguished Member
5,771 Posts
Waukesha?
It was a long time ago and I don't remember the engine mfg. I was working mostly on the turbo's helping to resolve some vibration/bearing stablity issues. We were also looking at if vibration analysis was a reasonable mechanical condition assesment approach for large recips (it's not).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts