Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to publically tell Brett at Magic in Phoenix thank you again for the help on Sunday night.

I was rolling into Phoenix from Cali with the boat and blew another damn bearing on the trailer at Cotton Lane on the I10 at 5:30 PM. I called Brett and he met me at the shop around 7 PM to put my boat in the shop and help me manage my trailer issue. Pulling the trailer with 1 axle down all the way home would have been rough, so he saved me about 50 miles of driving by meeting me at the shop.

Brett, Thanks again. It really helped me out and I appreciate it.

·
HOT SAUCE HERE
749 Posts
No surprise here - sounds just like Brett. Always offering anything and everything to help friends and customers. Thumbs up to Brett!

Roln 20s

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so you lost a full wheel and hub going home and then another bearing also? Sounds like it is time for all new bearings and races

This was the brand new axle, hub, and bearing (entire axle assembly) that went on in October 2007. This axle had less than 2000 miles on it since replacing the axle.

It is the rear axle. I dont know why this is happening. I have 8k axles with 3/8" thick steel wheels. The trailer is ugly, but stout. It looks pretty level on my truck too, not like I am sitting way high on the tongue.

·
HOT SAUCE HERE
749 Posts
This was the brand new axle, hub, and bearing (entire axle assembly) that went on in October 2007. This axle had less than 2000 miles on it since replacing the axle.

It is the rear axle. I dont know why this is happening. I have 8k axles with 3/8" thick steel wheels. The trailer is ugly, but stout. It looks pretty level on my truck too, not like I am sitting way high on the tongue.
Three pieces of advice:
1) Keep the big boat at the lake or ocean and give me a key
2) Get one of those Extreme Quad axle trailers like Eliminator uses on their 40 sportfish
3) Trade it in to Brett and get something "NEW"

Roln 20s :D

·
Banned
4,599 Posts
Three pieces of advice:
2) Get one of those Extreme Quad axle trailers like Eliminator uses on their 40 sportfish

Patrick is always looking out for his fellow boaters. Such a giver!!! :D :D :D

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Three pieces of advice:

I looked into the quad... not much better. Then I looked into triple dually axles... issues there as well. The ticket after all my research seems to be the triple axle. I have enough axle for my weight, just got to figure out the issue because this sucks.

Oh and the ocean slip is too much work!!! I like the lake!

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
It may be just going in and out of salt water has taken it's toll. I rinse the crap out of the trailer as well as flushing the boat after an ocean experience. Still, salt water is murder on bearings, wheels, etc. etc. :)coffee

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Just wanted to publically tell Brett at Magic in Phoenix thank you again for the help on Sunday night.

I was rolling into Phoenix from Cali with the boat and blew another damn bearing on the trailer at Cotton Lane on the I10 at 5:30 PM. I called Brett and he met me at the shop around 7 PM to put my boat in the shop and help me manage my trailer issue. Pulling the trailer with 1 axle down all the way home would have been rough, so he saved me about 50 miles of driving by meeting me at the shop.

Brett, Thanks again. It really helped me out and I appreciate it.

were you on Saguaro Lake on sunday in the silver and white boat?

·
Banned
989 Posts
were you on Saguaro Lake on sunday in the silver and white boat?
sean, that wasn't him. that guy pulled onto the beach right next to me when i got back from droppin you 2 off. it was a 50 footer.

·
Registered
568 Posts

If they were installed in OCT of 07 and you had not re-greased them since then, thats your problem.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If they were installed in OCT of 07 and you had not re-greased them since then, thats your problem.

You are the only one who has told me that. I had all new seals and bearing packed in late October 2007. The trailer has about 1700 miles on it in that time. The trailer mfg and even the shop who has done the work have both told me that I should not need to repack with less than 2000 miles on it. I was planning on doing it at the start of next season, and that would have been about 2100 total miles on the trailer since last service.

If my trailer cant make it 2000 miles before having to be reserviced, I will be looking for a giant wood chipper.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts