Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here I go with another question. What type of bilge pumps are people using. I need a new one and what to here from other jet boaters. And are you running more than one? How many gph? Thanks:)hand

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
there was a brand new 1 in the Parts for Sale forum, very reasonable!...i run just 1 bp & it works fine...no need for overkill! :)

FastRat

·
Angry American
3,103 Posts
I've got 2 800 GPH bilge pumps in mine. One of them has a float so it comes on automatically and the other is operated by a switch. I like the security of knowing I can leave the boat in overnight without an issue.
The only thing I'd suggest is to get a pump with either an internal float switch or one with an electronic sensor. The float I have got stuck in the on position last weekend which could lead to a dead battery and a sunk boat.

As far as the overkill comment, I'm going to disagree with that. I'm guessing you haven't had a big wave come over your transom or bow that puts a ton of water in your boat. I kind of like having 2 even if one of them rarely gets used.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I've got 2 800 GPH bilge pumps in mine. One of them has a float so it comes on automatically and the other is operated by a switch. I like the security of knowing I can leave the boat in overnight without an issue.
The only thing I'd suggest is to get a pump with either an internal float switch or one with an electronic sensor. The float I have got stuck in the on position last weekend which could lead to a dead battery and a sunk boat.

As far as the overkill comment, I'm going to disagree with that. I'm guessing you haven't had a big wave come over your transom or bow that puts a ton of water in your boat. I kind of like having 2 even if one of them rarely gets used.
agreed.. no such thing as overkill on bilge pumps. especially if you boat where alot of wake barges do. I take on a good amount of water just launching and floating at out local lakes. Personally i run 2 1000gph 1 on each side of the intake. but with my setback the water can't transfer side to side until it gets really deep and i hate having standing water in my boat.

·
Half a bubble off
2,467 Posts
I run one Rule 1000 on a float switch that's always hot and another Rule 1100 that is on a switch on the dash.

Been happy so far (knock on wood). Good luck and see you at Mardon????

·
Premium Member
782 Posts
When I had the jet boat I ran two pumps .
One with built in float always on ,the other one the switch.
And for an over kill. I ran the extra which was on the switch on a different
circuit . Just in case there was a short .

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I run one Rule 1000 on a float switch that's always hot and another Rule 1100 that is on a switch on the dash.

Been happy so far (knock on wood). Good luck and see you at Mardon????
I'm hoping to be there. I have been getting the boat ready. Just have to find a place to stay. We may come for the day and then find a hotel down the road. Can't wait.:D

·
21 Daytona
5,291 Posts
I have 2 Attwood 500 for the outside sponsons and
a Attwood Sahara 750 automatic for the center

·
Half a bubble off
2,467 Posts
I'm hoping to be there. I have been getting the boat ready. Just have to find a place to stay. We may come for the day and then find a hotel down the road. Can't wait.:D
Moses Lake is not that far away. Fast straight country roads. I wouldnt lose sleep over it if you can't stay at Mardon (besides, you probably would lose sleep if you did! Iff'n you know what I mean..;) )

See you there...........john

·
Registered
163 Posts
Here is a pic of my Rule 4000 GPH automatic pump. On the other side is a Rule 1000 GPH. I fish Lake Champlain which can toss 8 foot waves at you when the wind picks up. The 5000 total saved my boat last year when I swamped it near Plattsburgh, VT on the way in during a bass tournament.

Attachments

·
Screamin SeaMonkees
1,663 Posts
X2

Both of mine are "switched", and one is on the float. I have check valves at the discharge of each pump to keep the flow from returning when not switched.

AND I can no longer post pictures to this site so I can't show you. I can post the same pictures to other sites! Go figure. I contacted Mike, no help.

·
Angry American
3,103 Posts
Both of mine are "switched", and one is on the float. I have check valves at the discharge of each pump to keep the flow from returning when not switched.

AND I can no longer post pictures to this site so I can't show you. I can post the same pictures to other sites! Go figure. I contacted Mike, no help.
can't you just upload them to photobucket and put them here? it's real easy.

·
Angry American
3,103 Posts
and you missed a real good time! got your messages but not until I got cell service half way home on Sunday. Never had that happen out there before nor did I ever have the float for the bilge pump stick.

·
Registered
4,288 Posts

I had problems twice recently the 1st time it was cured by uploading the the newest adobe reader, the second time I just did a disc cleanup and it cured it, both were Mikes sugestions. Re the bilge pump I just upgraded to a self priming jabasco for the center of my daytona, by the time the water was deep enough for my other bilge to work, I was throwing water off my flexplate, partly because I had to put the bilge in front of the motor.

·
Registered
546 Posts
imo watch the gph rating as it is usually a great deal more posted on the pump than in the real world, these are test ratings and very sensitive to the amps they are receiving and how much lift or head they are pumping against.

·
Boat Nut
5,131 Posts
I like the inline pumps by Jabsco, they out pump most any conventional bilge pump. One other benefit to the inline pump, is you can put the inlet where ever you please.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
I'm running a single 300 GPH pump in mine, but I boat at BR where the water is pretty small. Every time I get in the boat, I point the bow up for a minute and flip the pump on....usually takes 30 seconds or so to empty the boat. Seems to be plenty for me.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts