Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Registered
2,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The missing man formation, created by a bunch of Laveys driven by former Champions who contrubuted so much to circle racing history.

Out front, Bill Faulkner Jr. in SS701 Hot Canary, his Dads Former racer. In this photo by TBI, George Nordling is in the orange SS76 the last boat he ever raced. And outside in 50 (PC871) Sweet Caroline is driven by Paul Grichar.

· Registered
2,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Another

The E66R which won the Nostalgia class is shown here being driven by Win Phillips, former owner-driver of the 'Jumping Jack Flash' Lavey and the 'Wild Hare' Hemi powered craft. He was the rear boat in the missing man formation to honor his very good friend Bill Sr.! Upon returning to the ramp, Win was all smiles and asked if he could do it again?? Yes, Win, you can run Nostalgia anytime, welcome home!

· Registered
2,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ss70

Now renumbered SS701 was at the point with Bill Jr. driving. George Nordling currently owns this boat and it ran in Super Stock where it's driven by Mike Todd. I dont have a Burley picture so this is Mike at Moses Lake.

Attachments

· Registered
2,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rare

to get these boats together with the original drivers! Dont you think?
There were quite a few emotional spectators as they watched what seemed like something from a Time Machine demonstration. Probably will never happen again, sure glad I was there.

Hey Bill, come out of lurking, and post what it felt like to drive your Dads old boat. Thanks for all you do to promote safe racing and for helping our newest member of Nostalgia, SK70, a Sanger! Welcome John, it was a pleasure to meet you and examine your fine Sanger restoration. Remember, down plate travel!

· Dazed and Transfused
2,256 Posts
Here's a couple more
As a kid I used to watch Bill drive the Hot Canary at my uncle's place in Soda Springs

· Dazed and Transfused
2,256 Posts
What a kick! I've been a spectator for years and I'll tell ya it's a whole other world in a seat going into turn one. I think Jerry G. and the others that give you Lavey guy's a hard time need to climb in a boat and see how hard those old boats run! You guys rock, Thanks again for all your help. JON, aka SK70
It was good to meet you Jon, we need to go hit the lake :)devil

· Registered
2,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Jon

seems to be the only Southern flat with guts enough to try something new, then there were the other Southern Fried-Sun Baked Chickens from California who were totally missing OUT! What's up with that? Northwest guys were 1,2,3 again running THEIR RULES.:|err

I hope you felt safe running with us, we have gobs of experience after 9 years. I know you did an excellent job with that nice Sanger as the pace boat. Glad I had a chance to run beside you and was surprised I didnt have to slow or speed you up down the start chute. You have a natural talent and will be a great addition to Nostie land especially when you get that cav plate travel increased. Your restoration is first class! A little less horsepower would have put a trophy in your hand since most of us broke out with the fast current. Few realized that the 5 mph current effected the outcome on the back stretch and that alone made me a loser. No worries mate, all Nostalgia racers were winners!:)hand

· Upstanding Member
12,680 Posts
What a kick! I've been a spectator for years and I'll tell ya it's a whole other world in a seat going into turn one. I think Jerry G. and the others that give you Lavey guy's a hard time need to climb in a boat and see how hard those old boats run! You guys rock, Thanks again for all your help. JON, aka SK70
Why do I need to climb in? The gps says 80! :Dlol....

· Registered
60 Posts
Safe

seems to be the only Southern flat with guts enough to try something new, then there were the other Southern Fried-Sun Baked Chickens from California who were totally missing OUT! What's up with that? Northwest guys were 1,2,3 again running THEIR RULES.:|err

I hope you felt safe running with us, we have gobs of experience after 9 years. I know you did an excellent job with that nice Sanger as the pace boat. Glad I had a chance to run beside you and was surprised I didnt have to slow or speed you up down the start chute. You have a natural talent and will be a great addition to Nostie land especially when you get that cav plate travel increased. Your restoration is first class! A little less horsepower would have put a trophy in your hand since most of us broke out with the fast current. Few realized that the 5 mph current effected the outcome on the back stretch and that alone made me a loser. No worries mate, all Nostalgia racers were winners!:)hand
Yea,I felt safe running with you guy's it was me I was worried about. Hardest part of the each heat was sitting on the start ramp trying not to PUKE in my helmet.And your right 7/8" plate travel does not cut it! But i've got extended transom blocks on my to do list.Even with the current to blame for my 94 mph breakout speed I still can't hang with you guys in the turns.But I'm gonna get the hang of it,then watch out! There is no subsitute for cubic inches.:D

· a.k.a WHIPLASH #180
944 Posts
The missing man formation, created by a bunch of Laveys driven by former Champions who contrubuted so much to circle racing history.

Out front, Bill Faulkner Jr. in SS701 Hot Canary, his Dads Former racer. In this photo by TBI, George Nordling is in the orange SS76 the last boat he ever raced. And outside in 50 (PC871) Sweet Caroline is driven by Paul Grichar.
Sweet Caroline..... wasn't that a Nordling boat back in the day????

· Registered
2,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Of interest

first shot shows Paul getting instructions on the controls of 'Caroline' but Paul took one look and said, "I've driven this boat before"! This would have been way before George bought it and possibly before it left Pico Boat Shop.
Truely a Legend in Laveys and he looked right at home!

Attachments

· Registered
2,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Next Driver and owner of three!

Big George: in 'One More Time Around' his last boat he campaigned in Nostalgia 2005, now driven by Mike Devore in Pro Stock now named 'Orange Crush'

Attachments

· Registered
2,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I've always hoped to meet the 'Jumping Jack Flash' driver

Here he is straight from his sail boat to a 97 mile per hour E66R!

His first words upon hitting the trailer was, "Can I do that again"! Of course you can Win, as can any veteran running Vintage APBA or Nostalgia Endurance! He also ran a Lavey called 'Wild Hare' which featured a 180 degree 426 Hemi which was a thing to behold and hear its cry!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.