Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was looking for anyone who knew Bill Holmes owner of Holmes Fiberglass Boat Co. & Horizon Mfg Inc. He was rumored to work on early designs for Miss Budweiser, etc. Like to talk to riggers who worked with him in Costa Mesa.
Any and all info appreciated.
Thnx

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey Circ, is Dave his son? & thnx for the info.

I agree, he did some great work on those hulls J.S. and was just talking with someone who will be making an aluminum whitewater boat from a Horizon mold. Got an pics of your old circle boat J?

·
Registered
394 Posts
Bill and Gracie Holmes (and sons) were an important part of the Southern California jet boat industry in the 60s and 70s. Their designs were unique to say the least, but quite effective and very efficient. And their bottom configurations (especially the Jette) were among the best. I don't know if Bill ever collaborated on any Unlimited hydro designs, however, his neighbor Ted and Ron Jones (their shop also located in Costa Mesa) were the gurus of Thunderboats.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Squirtin Thunder, I know Jim is a member here and would like his input.
Twocents I appreciate that you mentioned Gracie. Ted Jones passed in 2000 and was wondering if anyone is in contact with Ron. Is he still in Seattle?

·
Registered
1 Posts
that was my grandpa and dave is my dad i can ask any question you have
I Have owned a horizon since 1983, Best water ski boat ever. The only wake it has is from the old 135 merc prop wash.

I understand it was built to race in the Sammamish slew in Seattle.

Are these boats collectable ? I thought I had a one of a kind< But i just spotted one on craigslist in oregon

·
Registered
7,995 Posts
Horizon give away, FREE

I have one.... Jim Brock told me it was a "circle" design... It's now a bare hull with a Berkley intake and some wasted seats... Free, come and get it with your trailer, or give me $300. for the dual axle trailer it's sitting on and take the whole deal home... I honestly think the original gel, metalflake, is savable with a little sanding and some clear coat.... The hull is strange because of the turning chines, quite a drop as the "V" bottom reaches the edges....
Ray 805 300 0012

·
Registered
237 Posts
I use to look forward to going to the L A boat show. Bill and Gracies booth was right in the corner as you walked into the High Performance section. Yea we use to have a whole section just for High Performance Boats. Wriedt, Tahiti,Horrizon, Kona, Cheetah, Southwind, SKV, SleekCraft, Nordic, and it was full as well as the main hall with Glastron, Larson, Sea Ray, Glaspar, Arrowglass, Bayliner, Saber Craft, Skip Jack, Imp, You can just keep naming them off. They were all there it was a big deal it would make or break your year as a Manufacture. Bill and Gracie use to do a boat special for the show I remember one year they did a 18 footer with $20.00 $50.00 and $100.00 bills laminated into the deck. Gracie would always decorate the boats with stuffed animals I also remember a 21 day cruiser that was done with Tiger Stripes she had a couple 5 ft stuffed Tigers in the boat. My Dad was working as Jerry Wriedts National Sales Manager (Yea Wriedt was that big at one time) We had been doing the show for years and would always make sure we met up with Bill and Gracie in the bar after the first day. Gracie use to drink Pink Squirrels and the more she would drink the harder she would giggle the harder she would giggle the more she had to pee. It was really funny you have never had a good time till you sat in a booth at the La Convention Center with a 250 lb sweetheart gigglng her ass off and having to get up every 15 min to go to the restroom. She told Bill one night she was going to try a " Strip and go Naked " he told her she better not he didn't have that kind of bail money on him SHE JUST GIGGLED. Those were the days.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
I use to look forward to going to the L A boat show. Bill and Gracies booth was right in the corner as you walked into the High Performance section. Yea we use to have a whole section just for High Performance Boats. Wriedt, Tahiti,Horrizon, Kona, Cheetah, Southwind, SKV, SleekCraft, Nordic, and it was full as well as the main hall with Glastron, Larson, Sea Ray, Glaspar, Arrowglass, Bayliner, Saber Craft, Skip Jack, Imp, You can just keep naming them off. They were all there it was a big deal it would make or break your year as a Manufacture. Bill and Gracie use to do a boat special for the show I remember one year they did a 18 footer with $20.00 $50.00 and $100.00 bills laminated into the deck. Gracie would always decorate the boats with stuffed animals I also remember a 21 day cruiser that was done with Tiger Stripes she had a couple 5 ft stuffed Tigers in the boat. My Dad was working as Jerry Wriedts National Sales Manager (Yea Wriedt was that big at one time) We had been doing the show for years and would always make sure we met up with Bill and Gracie in the bar after the first day. Gracie use to drink Pink Squirrels and the more she would drink the harder she would giggle the harder she would giggle the more she had to pee. It was really funny you have never had a good time till you sat in a booth at the La Convention Center with a 250 lb sweetheart gigglng her ass off and having to get up every 15 min to go to the restroom. She told Bill one night she was going to try a " Strip and go Naked " he told her she better not he didn't have that kind of bail money on him SHE JUST GIGGLED. Those were the days.
The Horrizon 18ft Jet Boat looked like a big Hot Tub. :)sphss

·
Registered
1 Posts
1976 horizon outboutboard

I recently bought a Holmes Horizon that has a 175 hp mercury outboard I believe that the boat is around a 1976. The boat is very fast and handles great.

I have been trying to find out some information on this boat can't find much online.

It is a Horizon Model 19. I think that it would be somewhat rare as anything I have found online is an inboard Jet boat.

Does anyone have any information about this boat?

Water transportation Vehicle Speedboat Bass boat Boat

Vehicle Motor vehicle Trailer Car Grass

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.