Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
I guess it really depends on what you are trying to accomplish. For a good performance spacer I would be investigating the so called " super sucker " design of spacers. These are 4 hole spacers that are CNC machined on the under side that gradually transition from a four hole to an open design. In general, 4 hole spacers will benefit lower end performance, while open spacers are more of a top end help. Another thing to consider is if you intake manifold is of stock design and has an exhaust heat crossover, you may be limited in your choice of materials.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am running an Edelbrock Victor no heat riser and I am looking for more top end. I am mostly asking as far material type plastic just seems like a weak point to me and not sure how much heat disipation I really need with an open engine and a gap under the intake runners

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Like bullet proof Lexan windows weak or more like fiberglass boat weak?
Sure Bob I'll play along with you. I am more concerned with the possibility of leaks and leaning out the engine. Just thought I would get some input as far as anyone else ever have problems with one leaking more than the other.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Just my .02. Phenolic will provide good insulation and prevent what little heat you have in the intake from getting to the carburetor. The new compounds are pretty stable. If you do not go overboard tightnening the carburetor down cracking should not be an issue. The thinner spacers at one time had a tendancy to warp in cars as a result of the higher under hood temp but you are talking about a pretty thick spacer at 2 inches. Billet is pretty bullet proof, you can always rely on the two gaskets for insulation.

·
Registered
726 Posts
I tried one of the plastic ones this summer just to see how it would work and I have not observed any issues thus far.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts