Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,341 Posts
buddy of mine had that happen while taking a little honey for an NOS pass, threw them both out at around 100, didnt break any bones but the girly was on crutches from being bruised all to hell for a while. Lesson learned - no more nos passes with passengers.

·
Registered
195 Posts
You might be able to tell where the failure originated based on the fracture surfaces. What you are looking for is a change in the "texture" on the fracture face. Most of it will be dull dimples (like little micro mountians and valleys) but take a good look for area(s) that transition into a smooth surface with parallel ripples - looks like ripples in the sand on a beach after the tide has been going out. The dull dimples are tensile overload, the beach marks or thumbnail marks are fatigue - where a crack has started and grown over time.
Post up some pics of the fracture surfaces if you find anything.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
That sucks. at the very least, it could have broken either the droop OR the diverter but it had to break both. Place does sell individual pieces of droops BTW.

At least you got 2 days of the weekend.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I did that too with my first boat. Blew it about 150' behind the boat and almost hit a buddy who was following me. Ploop! gone.

Mine turned out to be the bottom pin which I had forgot to tighten.

Ken

·
Thrust Whisperer
87 Posts
You might be able to tell where the failure originated based on the fracture surfaces. What you are looking for is a change in the "texture" on the fracture face. Most of it will be dull dimples (like little micro mountians and valleys) but take a good look for area(s) that transition into a smooth surface with parallel ripples - looks like ripples in the sand on a beach after the tide has been going out. The dull dimples are tensile overload, the beach marks or thumbnail marks are fatigue - where a crack has started and grown over time.
Post up some pics of the fracture surfaces if you find anything.
Yeah! X2 Try getting a close up of the surfaces of the break from both parts. I'm real curious to see the broken area around the hole (passage) where the pin retaining screw goes.

not too sure, i busted a scagg off the intake plate about 5 years ago when i ran over a log, so im thinking it couldve cracked then, and after time it finally gave out.
Seems like hitting something would have cracked the bottom pin area, not the top.

How old was the droop/snoot casting? Where you running a big roost when this happened?

·
Pink Taco
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
roost was down, but do run it alot, and is pretty big, not to mention i like to punch it from a dead stop with shifter all the way up. JBP Tom put it on like 6 years ago, and was ran a lot, 2 motors. after insurance adjuster comes out i will get some nice close ups with a camera other then my cell phone. Water transportation Vehicle Boating Boat Recreation

this 1 is before tunnel ram and 2 660 holleys

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.