Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Friend of mine recently bought a Mako with a 454 build by Pinkston Energetics. It has a piece of braided hose between the left and right block drains. No tee, no valve, nothing but a line connection the two side. What purpose would this serve?

The only thing I can even come up with would be to equalize both sides of the bock pressure wise....

I dont see a bunch of value though...:)Unsure

GT :)hand

·
Horsepower sells Engines
402 Posts
im going to agree with earl brown, i havent seen it before either, maybe an equlizer, maybe tom would know

·
Registered
335 Posts
Kind of stands to reason that the function is prolly to do like whats already been said above (equalizer) , actually kind of an interesting "concept" ;)
I kinda had thoughts like that years back, but thought better of it because the banks on v style engines are already balanced, pressure wise, through the intake manifold.

However, on most engines, this crossover is only on the front of the intake manifold. I have to agree here, interesting concept, and might have some actual merit to it. Cylinder to cylinder temps might have a real benefit from this.

Ray

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
I kinda had thoughts like that years back, but thought better of it because the banks on v style engines are already balanced, pressure wise, through the intake manifold.

However, on most engines, this crossover is only on the front of the intake manifold. I have to agree here, interesting concept, and might have some actual merit to it. Cylinder to cylinder temps might have a real benefit from this.

Ray
Just throwing this out there because I've never heard of it done this way before, but the crossover in the manifold on a BBC (and others) is "after" the flow restrictors in the head gasket....;)

I am unsure of any real benefit but at the same time don't think it could hurt, now if it had a tee in it, and being as small as it is (block drains are only 1/4" NPT) by installing a small dump line overboard could sure eliminate some sand deposit problems.:)bulb

I have used the same holes, but drilled to 1/2" for the water "in" on a jet before, actually with great results....:)Unsure

GT :)hand

1 - 8 of 8 Posts