Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Custom user title
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to find a new block. I found one about an hour from me it's a complete motor. Looked up the casting numbers and it says 2 or 4 bolt. Casting number 14015445 the guy says that on the back of the block it says hi-perf. I think this means that it's a 4 bolt main but would love to hear some opinions. Appreciate any input.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Trying to find a new block. I found one about an hour from me it's a complete motor. Looked up the casting numbers and it says 2 or 4 bolt. Casting number 14015445 the guy says that on the back of the block it says hi-perf. I think this means that it's a 4 bolt main but would love to hear some opinions. Appreciate any input.
I've found, with that casting number, its a coin toss. That casting number was made from '70-'90. As far a hi-perf, i think that be came quite common to put on BBC Passenger car stuff. Only way to really know is to pull the pan.

·
Strap on the JATO
305 Posts
That block # has been found installed in alot of boats i've
found. For example, when I got my boat it had a Indmar
sticker on the valve covers & it had 990 heads, a forged
steel crank, Forged steel (dot)rods & forged GM pistons.
The heads & block have Hi Perf cast into them. Like previous
stated, pull the pan to find out.......

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
They all say " hi perf" on them.

If it is 87-91 it is a four bolt. How you can tell is by the casting date.

Also, up through 1986 they had 7.4L cast in the side using about 1/2" letters, 1987-1991 they went to 1" letters. I've never seen a 1" letter block with 2 bolts. I buy Suburbans and part them out. Usually have about 6 of these blocks on hand.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
that # indicates that it is 78-90 454 2 or 4 bolt in my book. all bbc had hi per on them. so its just an average 454. if can get it for cheap, it is always good to have extra bbc parts laying a round, you never know when you are going to scater a motor

·
Custom user title
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
that # indicates that it is 78-90 454 2 or 4 bolt in my book. all bbc had hi per on them. so its just an average 454. if can get it for cheap, it is always good to have extra bbc parts laying a round, you never know when you are going to scater a motor
Hehe I got all the stock parts I'll ever need I think since I just scattered mine and am not going to be using anything from it basically. By the way the guy pulled the pan for me and sure enough it was a 2 bolt. Oh well must keep looking.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Hehe I got all the stock parts I'll ever need I think since I just scattered mine and am not going to be using anything from it basically. By the way the guy pulled the pan for me and sure enough it was a 2 bolt. Oh well must keep looking.
You can always put the splayed caps on the 2 bolt block,, but then you start to have a bunch of money in it ,,add a lil more money- than you can get a aftermarket block.....E:)hand

1 - 9 of 9 Posts