Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Custom user title
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my wife told me that someone is coming over this Friday to take my blood for a new life insurance policy. I wish she would of told me last week so I wouldn't of sat at the black jack tables smoking cigarettes over the weekend. I am a very casual smoker. I may occasionally have one at work(coworkers are regular smokers) and other then that it's really just if I go out drinking with friends that smoke which isn't very often. I smoke less then a pack a month. Does anyone know if they will be able to detect this on a blood test? I'd hate to end up paying higher rates due to this. I'd rather postpone it a month or whatever and just make sure and not have any if it will make a difference.

·
C Ya on da lake
6,991 Posts
should have no reflection on your policy,

unless.... you told them you dont smoke,

and if thats the case, you just started smoking due to the stress of having your bloodwork done.

·
Rubbing is Racing!!
2,837 Posts
The nicotine will show up on the test and they will hit you with the smokers rate.
yep.

Hopefully they don't find the coke in your system:D

Best thing to doi be honest. They are very tough on screeing if your looking for a good size policy and would love to find out you lied on the application when it comes time for pay out;):)

They catch all sorts of stuff at my wifes work....Balemic wifes,drug addict husbands,etc..

·
Custom user title
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:)sphss LOL too funny.

Well I'm totally confused. I have no idea what my wife put down on the application so guess I'll just have to wait and see what they say. Maybe I should be more concerned that my wife just took out a life insurance policy on me :)bulb

·
Slow Learner
909 Posts
I think nicotine only stays in your system for 72-96 hours? If so, you should be good. Maybe they test for other signs/symptoms..

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,079 Posts
I think nicotine only stays in your system for 72-96 hours? If so, you should be good. Maybe they test for other signs/symptoms..
If I re-call correctly it is water soluble, drink lot's of water and work out. You will sweat and pee it out of your system before Friday. I believe the 72 hour # is correct.

Sleeper CP

Big Inch Ford Lover:D

·
Custom user title
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If I re-call correctly it is water soluble, drink lot's of water and work out. You will sweat and pee it out of your system before Friday. I believe the 72 hour # is correct.

Sleeper CP

Big Inch Ford Lover:D
Will light beer work?

·
Registered
5,838 Posts
I took mine last year only two days after returning from a week at the river (4th of July). They denyed my application and let me redo it a month later. I also had to have a note from my doctor that I was healthy.

·
It's good to be alive
1,526 Posts
yep.

Best thing to doi be honest. They are very tough on screeing if your looking for a good size policy and would love to find out you lied on the application when it comes time for pay out;):)

They catch all sorts of stuff at my wifes work....Balemic wifes,drug addict husbands,etc..
This they will along with anything that is still in your system. Then you will be unable to obtain insurance for a long time. "Have you ever ben denied insurance in the past".:)hand

·
Registered
5,487 Posts
I just did this a month ago. Nicotine is gone in 4 days. If your still worried about it you can get a flush at just about any pipe shop. Watch the caffeine and alcohol a couple days before your test. They will run a whole x xitload of test from your blood. Cholestorel, liver function, etc. Chilling on the starchy fatty foods for a few days before helps as well. They are going to take your blood pressure as well. Make sure they take it atleast three times over a fifteen to twenty minute period if the first one shows high. And high meaning 1 point above the norm. The blood pressure alone can ding you an addition 30-40%. The same thing apply's to your heartrate as well.

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,079 Posts
I just did this a month ago. Nicotine is gone in 4 days. If your still worried about it you can get a flush at just about any pipe shop. Watch the caffeine and alcohol a couple days before your test. They will run a whole x xitload of test from your blood. Cholestorel, liver function, etc. Chilling on the starchy fatty foods for a few days before helps as well. They are going to take your blood pressure as well. Make sure they take it atleast three times over a fifteen to twenty minute period if the first one shows high. And high meaning 1 point above the norm. The blood pressure alone can ding you an addition 30-40%. The same thing apply's to your heartrate as well.
I dropped my heart rate to 48 beat's per minute, the tech thought that was pretty cool. My normal is about 62, the tech used the 48 on my application helped me get the best available premium.

Sleeper CP :D

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Let me see if I understand this, the Ins. Co's only want to insure people who are perfectly healthy. That's kinda like Vegas they only want losers for customers. Am Is starting to see a business trend here.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Why are they doing a blood test in the first place. They may be able to ask if you smoke or have a family history of heart disease, cancer, or diabetes (the big three). A height and weight can give them your body surface area to give them an idea of body fat, but a blood test is a bit big brother. Besides the normal chemistries to give cholesterol, blood glucose, and kidney function, a new trend is emerging with DNA profiling where they seek out patterns that could let them know if you are predisposed to diseases that could shorten your life span; ie. not in their best interest to cover you. And they are not obligated to inform you to what they find if they turn you down. I would tell them to take a hike, or slow down and educate yourself to your rights. Laws are being written to end this practice, esp in CA. Unless you are going for a policy with a huge payout, look around.Duck

·
Registered
5,838 Posts
Why are they doing a blood test in the first place. They may be able to ask if you smoke or have a family history of heart disease, cancer, or diabetes (the big three). A height and weight can give them your body surface area to give them an idea of body fat, but a blood test is a bit big brother. Besides the normal chemistries to give cholesterol, blood glucose, and kidney function, a new trend is emerging with DNA profiling where they seek out patterns that could let them know if you are predisposed to diseases that could shorten your life span; ie. not in their best interest to cover you. And they are not obligated to inform you to what they find if they turn you down. I would tell them to take a hike, or slow down and educate yourself to your rights. Laws are being written to end this practice, esp in CA. Unless you are going for a policy with a huge payout, look around.Duck
The doctor told me the biggest reason is aids.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Let me see if I understand this, the Ins. Co's only want to insure people who are perfectly healthy. That's kinda like Vegas they only want losers for customers. Am Is starting to see a business trend here.
NO, they'll insure about anyone, but you will have to pay extra for it.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
There is actually some big business in trying to get people closer to death than others a policy.

Here is how it works. A guy is looking for sick people to find insurance for, mainly terminal patients. They somehow get them a policy and then the guy that hooked the deal up goes to a group of investors. He gets cash from the investors and makes the investment group the beneficary of the policy.

So let's say there was a $500k policy on someone with aids. They pay the patient $200k up front and then when the person dies, they collect the $500k from the policy. So the person with the disease can go play with the money before they pass.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts