Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 148 Posts

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
damn blow thru carbs are hellll to tune:|err brand new 1700 buck carb and it'll flood the motor till it kills it:mad: gotta call c&s in the mornin , see wtf is up with that. it turned out lookin pretty good, i'll get some pics and vid of it over the weekend and post em up. was trying to get it ready for the local cove races, catch some folks off guard with it:p sounds pretty wicked cacklin out the 5in exhaust outlets:)devil

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Tom,

Pic's or it's not done!!......:) The carbs are actually real easy to tune, or atleast all of mine have been. Call Rodger in the am and see whats up! Keep in touch man!

Travis

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i think it may be the regulator, my uncle is pulling it apart right now to check it. tim from yb has been helping on the tele tonite, he knows em verrry well:)devil the regulator isn't returning anything, so that may be what's happening. the regulator is the only thing on the fuel supply system we bought used:)sphss bought it offa a longtime yb member , and he swore it worked "perfect".

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Tim is a smart man when it comes to the C&S Carbs!! Are you using the 132-02 reg.? If so are you using the bottom port as the return? I am running a -10 feed and -12 return on mine, two -8's to the carb and pluged the other two outlets. What is your pressure?

Travis

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yep, 13202 regulator with the belt drive aeromotive pump. have 10an feeding the pump, from pump to regulator is 10an, 8an coming outta the regulator to the carb ports, the other 2 ports blocked off, and a 10an return port and hose to the tank.

last nite i went back up there to help out and as soon as the regulator saw 3psi, fuel would shoot up and outta the rear vent tube:mad: we dropped both rear needles as far as we could trying to shut the fuel off on the rear bowls and it just keeps on shooting out. billy is gonna pull the bowl this mornin, yesterday was a longggg day:|err:)st i'm callin c&s this mornin, not happy at all with their product , should've went with csu

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I am sure it is an easy fix man, let me know what Rodger has to say!

Travis

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am sure it is an easy fix man, let me know what Rodger has to say!

Travis
the mutha****er needs to say "i'm overnighting you guys another carb" if he wants to make us happy at this point:|err we pulled the rear bowl, sure nuff the float was stuck, fixed that, turned the needles to their lowest position(so low the adjuster barely grabs), lifted the floats with a finger and ya can still blow past em:)st its almost like the needles are too short for this bowl. needless to say we're both very disappointed in a 1700 carb that don't phuckin work! all that "yes we flow em and make sure its spec'd to your motor" is bulllllll phuckin shit, it wasn't tested before shipping out, otherwise they'd noticed this issue:mad:

·
Cantard
5,017 Posts
the mutha****er needs to say "i'm overnighting you guys another carb" if he wants to make us happy at this point:|err we pulled the rear bowl, sure nuff the float was stuck, fixed that, turned the needles to their lowest position(so low the adjuster barely grabs), lifted the floats with a finger and ya can still blow past em:)st its almost like the needles are too short for this bowl. needless to say we're both very disappointed in a 1700 carb that don't phuckin work! all that "yes we flow em and make sure its spec'd to your motor" is bulllllll phuckin shit, it wasn't tested before shipping out, otherwise they'd noticed this issue:mad:
Welcome to the fan club.:)hand

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Welcome to the fan club.:)hand
i'll be his worst phuckin enemy if he don't make right with us on it;) i'm sure c&scarbssuckass.com isn't taken yet:)bulb

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Actually it could be. LMAO What needles are supposed to be in it?
who knows, my uncle just called and said he fixed it, had to mod all 4 floats so they didn't **** sideways and the needle fall off their tangs:|err cheesy asssssss shit:|err he said it holds pressure now but its runnin like shit, prob fouled some plugs already:mad:

·
Highaboosta
3,431 Posts
needs to say "i'm overnighting you guys another carb" if he wants to make us happy at this point
That makes the most sense to me.
For that kind of investment the carb should have been ready to run perfect.

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
4 plugs were foulded from the prior flooding the carb done. he got the fuel system straightened out now, just gotta some plugs in it when i get off work. maybe this is the last "bug" for now.

hey mark, i herd you found a way to turn the boost down by restricting exhaust pressure, what's that all bout? gonna need to do the same to billy's deal, i've got the boost hooked to the bottom right now only so they blow open at the lowest setting, we'll put the rest on after a lake test.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I am currious to how low you can keep the boost Tom, what size gates are you running and where are they mounted? Mike runs a 540 in his tx20 with a pair of gt47-88's with 60mm gates and T6 1.08 turbine housings and he can get the boost down to 8-9psi.

Travis

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am currious to how low you can keep the boost Tom, what size gates are you running and where are they mounted? Mike runs a 540 in his tx20 with a pair of gt47-88's with 60mm gates and T6 1.08 turbine housings and he can get the boost down to 8-9psi.

Travis
mark choked his exhaust outlets down and it lowered his boost alot! go figure:)sphss plan on doin the same if we can't turn it down to 15lbs of boost. i've got the boost just hooked to the bottom of the gates for now, not runnin anything ontop for now, just letting the springs do the work and see where the boost lies, then hook up the controller.

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
we bought mark's old headers, the gates are on the collector, 50mm gates

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I wonder what the back-pressure change is when you choke down the exhaust....could be hard on valves with the extra heat. Some guys in town when the a local sping shop and has some custom really soft springs made for their gates and that was a big help for them!

Where are these damn pic's anyway......come on man!! :D

Travis

·
Highaboosta
3,431 Posts
My setup is going to be different than you guys because I run E85 fuel. I did some research and found that E85 makes approximately 30% more exhaust than gas. That figures in with the 28 - 30% richer mixture needed for the proper A/F ratio and the fact that its an oxygenated fuel.

That certainly is the main source of my boost control problem. Spools up quick and makes huge HP but it's just TOO much. I went into this thinking I would have a lag issue. :)sphss

It was suggested to me on E85forum.com that the large turbine housings (1.32AR) had very little backpressure and the exhaust favored going out the turbo rather than the wastegates.

I installed an insert muffler in the 4" pipes as an experiment.
It made a huge difference and dropped the boost down to 4#. Performance dropped considerably. And I was just getting used to the boat jumping out of the water at 60 mph too. :)devil

I don't think restricting the exhaust is the best way to go but I know it will work and I really don't want to install two wastegates per side.

I need to install a copper line in the header to accurately check the backpressure before getting too carried away here.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Great post Mark, that is some nice info to have! Is the muffler the only way you restricted the exhaust? If so then thats not really a bad thing at all as I am sure you probly have a 1 to 1 ratio or better on your set up without the mufflers. :)devil Any pic's of the insert's?

That is nice you can bring it down to 4 psi and start creeping up on it now!

Travis

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
the 496 is runnin right now, sob sounds angryyyyyyy:)grn:)grn:)devil was told it'd be a lil sluggish, not even, sob is as snappy as my nitrous 13.5 to 1 505 was:)devil

1 - 20 of 148 Posts