Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
"It's HONDO, honey"
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who makes a good blower cam? And what is it? I've heard good things about Clay smith but he'sust one guy, theres thousands on this site. thanks guys

BBC 496
4.250 stroke
Iron 119 RHS heads
Je 8.5 to 1
Forged crank
H beam rods
320 cc intake runners
2.250 int
1.880 exh
Gear drive
8-71 hampton
carborated
Balanced
std deck

thanks

·
Registered
39 Posts
I called Crower and Dave Crower took my call. Everyone was telling me that I couldn't run a cam as aggressive as I wanted and Dave stepped right up and designed it for me. Not an off the shelf that everybody runs but an aggressive mean a** custom blower cam that idles well, pulls skiiers all day long and hauls ass!

·
"It's HONDO, honey"
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya I've talked to isky and clay smith so far, but just wanted everyones first hand experience before I commit

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
go to the on the dyno section and page chris straub ;) he'll design the cam around the motor and make it run the best it's gonna do. most guys he grinds cams for hit the hp level on the dyno that he told them they would:)devil that's knowing your shit:)bulb

·
"It's HONDO, honey"
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Right on will do.

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Who makes a good blower cam? And what is it? I've heard good things about Clay smith but he'sust one guy, theres thousands on this site. thanks guys

BBC 496
4.250 stroke
Iron 119 RHS heads
Je 8.5 to 1
Forged crank
H beam rods
320 cc intake runners
2.250 int
1.880 exh
Gear drive
8-71 hampton
carborated
Balanced
std deck

thanks
The only guy I have used for YEARS. Chet Herbert. Tell him what you have and what you want take his advice and run it!!! You will not be let down. If you can't get Chet ask for Donny Johanson. They have alot of time on dynos and the track and have forgot more than most people will ever learn. 909-393 4957. Chino Ca. M

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Ya I've talked to isky and clay smith so far, but just wanted everyones first hand experience before I commit
Just remember, you do not need a shyt load of lift: .650ish, blowers do not like much overlap, so 112-114 center. Make the power with compression, boost, and timing. Oh, and lots of fuel....

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
so do you think 748 at 112 is to much for a 572 with 7#
A lot has to do with how you use your engine. The great thing about a blower is that it can deliver fuel/air without having to use as extreme cams as in a NA motor. Bursts, like drags, tend to be less demanding than long stretches being on it where throttle is on and off shaking the crap out of the valve train.

Since breaking so many parts with that kind of lift, only to discover I could make more power without it and have the engine live changed my approach to cams.

Experimentation will tell you what is too much. If you can make the power while minimizing the lift needed, less stress on the valve train. ;)

·
"It's HONDO, honey"
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Most certainly VDR And it would be more drags and short spurts and steer clear of the long strechs. What about isky for a cam?

·
Registered
39 Posts
After very much criticism about the aggressiveness of this grind by many in the HotBoat forums who said it wouldn't work for my 498 Ci blown 8:1 Canfield aluminum heads, 10 Pds boost on 91 pump gas, this is a posting of my final results. This is a mechanical roller grind. Hope the following helps you some.....

Runs like a bat ouuta *ell! Very happy with this Crower and as far as power down low and midrange there is gobs and gobs to spare. Not a sign of reversion and I pull skiers and tubes much of the day before I blast it all out to 6000+ rpm. ......Crower: .694 .723 267 276 112 w/ the #4 & #7 swap.
Idles @ 11-1200, no surge at all and in gear it idles @ 700 or so. VERY well mannered, I'm totally happy with this grind....TOTALLY!

·
Frozen Hoser
118 Posts
After very much criticism about the aggressiveness of this grind by many in the HotBoat forums who said it wouldn't work for my 498 Ci blown 8:1 Canfield aluminum heads, 10 Pds boost on 91 pump gas, this is a posting of my final results. This is a mechanical roller grind. Hope the following helps you some.....

Runs like a bat ouuta *ell! Very happy with this Crower and as far as power down low and midrange there is gobs and gobs to spare. Not a sign of reversion and I pull skiers and tubes much of the day before I blast it all out to 6000+ rpm. ......Crower: .694 .723 267 276 112 w/ the #4 & #7 swap.
Idles @ 11-1200, no surge at all and in gear it idles @ 700 or so. VERY well mannered, I'm totally happy with this grind....TOTALLY!
If thats infront of a bravo drive, how the heck do you shift it without destroying it?

·
Registered
39 Posts
If thats infront of a bravo drive, how the heck do you shift it without destroying it?
Lot's of people ask that and I wonder why? It's a 1989 Bravo one, original unit w/ no major repairs ever! I have had no problems shifting this unit. Sometimes it goes in a little stiff but it is on the same drive I've had on this boat since 1989 with no repairs yet other than a twisted input shaft from getting into the sand under full power with a 600 HP non blown unit. I just put a new input shaft with a U joint and no problems since. My Bravo has had no problems and I run it full out quite often it has been well over 6000 RPM numerous times for not very short runs. I'm running a 30 Bravo prop and I don't treat it like a dragster... I just put the power to it smoothly and change the fluid every year with Quicksilver Premium. There really tough if you treat em right!

·
"It's HONDO, honey"
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well I'm lookin for it to be agressive. No pullin anything, lota surge and up and haul ass :D

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Most certainly VDR And it would be more drags and short spurts and steer clear of the long strechs. What about isky for a cam?
Isky is all I use. They have a lot of experience and skill. Big lift for drags is cool; just need lots of care in setting things up. They can, and are happy to help guide you with your decision.

Now I love Isky stuff, BUT... check the cam before you install it/have it installed. They are human, and I know of a few instances with the wrong cam in the right box. A good builder usually has a mule block set up so they can easily perform some measurements on cams before they have them sealed up in your engine. These days, you have to check everything.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts