Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay I searched and searched and couldn't find what i was looking for on here or anywhere for that matter.
So my question is, does anyone make a blower manifold for a standard deck, BBC, oval port, for a 6-71 or 8-71?
I'm sure i could have a sheet metal one made but I'm on a budget and don't want to break the bank.

Or, I've read about using a rectangle manifold and use the rectangle gaskets. is this frowned upon or okay?

thanks

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
rect port gaskets and rect port intake is pretty common place on blown oval port motors, my blown 475 couldnt tell the difference and ran harddddd with 871 oval ports and rect port weiand intake.ive yet to see a oval port blower intake , maybe someday ill see 1 for sale somewhere

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
rect port gaskets and rect port intake is pretty common place on blown oval port motors, my blown 475 couldnt tell the difference and ran harddddd with 871 oval ports and rect port weiand intake.ive yet to see a oval port blower intake , maybe someday ill see 1 for sale somewhere
Thanks for the quick response. That is what I'm coming to realize also.

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
Try Roy Miersh at profesional performance products. He is in Fallbrook Ca. and builds manifolds for blowers. For what it's worth a blower really doesn't feel the heads "so to speak" just the chamber it is feeding and feul/air it is providing. I have built blower motors and you can toss me a good 6-71 and the right drive ratio for a BBC and build dependable H/P at a reasonable cost. IMLAO!

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
So peanut ports are just fine for a 588 blower motor because the blower only sees the chamber runder the blower. And why did Roy go to all the trouble of virtually reinventing the blower manifold if all it needs is a chamber under it. Come all Ol Guy, you know better than that.
Gee sport! I missed the part were it was a 588 with "peanut heads" I thought we were talking more like a 049 head on a small inch BBC. FWIW yes I do know better than that:)devil As I stated DRIVE has alot to do with volumes and CFM. M

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
Well understood! that was my point! A well built 468 with a 8:5 ratio and 10percent over with an 049 head and proper cam will live forever,make a butt-load of power with the proper carburation. NOW a 588 with a ?-71 and peanut heads will look cool and go nowhere! By the way when I talk blowers I speak in percents and atmospheres not boost. Boost is for turbo motors. Now if you use that term in life expectancy for indurance then I can well understand. But for a drag situation I think more on the other side. I run blown motors for short term and you run them for hours so different requirement fall into play. If you could design a waste gate for a blower motor with "on the fly" control that worked you would be retired and living the life of luxury. M

·
Registered
441 Posts
:)sphss
So peanut ports are just fine for a 588 blower motor because the blower only sees the chamber runder the blower. And why did Roy go to all the trouble of virtually reinventing the blower manifold if all it needs is a chamber under it. Come all Ol Guy, you know better than that.
There you go again:)sphss

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
Ole Guy is ok. You just have to remember he is waaaaay smarter than his fingers and key board;)
Thanks for the complement:)devil
And yes you are deffinetly right-Sometimes my fingers and the fact that I can screw up a respone on a keyboard faster than shit thru a goose is way to true. M

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
Tell the driver that!
Thats true. The driver COULD control the boost of a roots blower if he CHOOSES to. But it would be nice if you could just turn a screw or a couple of key strokes on a computer to make sure it was under control. Thats why in a endurance deal you just play it safe and pulley it safe.;) But a "TEMPORARY" rise in boost would be nice. But the driver could never be trusted with it. Its why F1 and Indy has a restricted "surge time" And neither are even blown!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
Thats true. The driver COULD control the boost of a roots blower if he CHOOSES to. But it would be nice if you could just turn a screw or a couple of key strokes on a computer to make sure it was under control. Thats why in a endurance deal you just play it safe and pulley it safe.;) But a "TEMPORARY" rise in boost would be nice. But the driver could never be trusted with it. Its why F1 and Indy has a restricted "surge time" And neither are even blown!
AGREED! pulley safe is the smart way to deal with idiot (driver) proof. You can run like hell for 2-3 laps but that amounts to sqwat with a DNF at the end. Maybe you could come up with a remote control waste gate! M

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
wow this thread got kinda derailed. that seems to be the theme in this section :D
any ways thanks for the responses!
back to my topic, would i be okay if i used a rectangle port manifold if i decide to stay with oval heads?

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts