Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What weight motor oil is best for blower motors. I'm running Amsoil 20/50 and made some full boost runs this weekend and found an oil leak. This is the second leak and am wounding if the "50" might be to thick.

Thanks Dave

·
Banned
4,957 Posts
Ok, this one sat unanswered too long, so I'll bite.

In my opinion, Amsoil sucks ass as motor oil for everyday boat use. It pours thin, and gets thinner as it heats up. When it's that thin, it will find it's way out of gaps in seals that conventional oils would be a little more reluctant. Also, after a power run and throttle let off, it's not fun seeing your oil pressure go to 0 as the crap runs like water to the front of the pan from deceleration. If you are trying to eek every bit of horsepower out of the motor and rebuild it often like many racers can, have at it, but for me it's straight 50 Valvoline VR1. Cheaper too.

I'm not bashing Amsoil or it's use, but I'll never run it in a pleasure boat.

·
Premium Member
1,119 Posts
torco straight 50. i'm trying torco 20/50 synthetic for the first time. looks good after 5 hours of use...but the jury is still out till i change it. .02 -Jas

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
What weight motor oil is best for blower motors. I'm running Amsoil 20/50 and made some full boost runs this weekend and found an oil leak. This is the second leak and am wounding if the "50" might be to thick.

Thanks Dave

I run Valvoline Conventional(not VR1) Racing Oil 50wt. I have dry headers and use the pan-o-vac from the valve covers to the collectors; no leaks. (typically 10 lbs of boost).

I take it easy warming up the oil. If you're using it recreationally, warm-cold warm cold, I would use 20-50 without hesitation. I never have used synthetics, but there are some good ones out there.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for answering up. The motor started life running Kendall but I recently changed over to Amsoil. Guess I'll find the leak and try a different oil.

DA

·
Premium Member
6,008 Posts
Pennzoil racing straight 50.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Ok i've been trying Joe Gibb's oil and at this point i'm ready to go back to valvoline {VR-1 50w racing oil} the reason is that was said in the other post's i don't like to see my oil pressure go down on my gauge.Plus i've put 4+ years on my motor before i had to freshen it up due to a spun main bearing this year.Maybe it was to long between tear downs but i've always used valvoline even when i was racing.Plus the cost is right since i change my oil after every outting to the river.The synthetics are to high dollar.

Jim S

·
northern member
602 Posts
Pennzoil , Valvoline 20-50 or rotella 15-40 as a base or break-in oil is what works for me . a buddy that i wrench for spends the bucks for the Amsoil 20-50 racing , very good stuff i think the leaks show up cause it's so slippery it finds it's way through .

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
20W-50W Valvoline VR1 racing oil. Going on 6yrs now and no troubles
Thats what I use in Michigan, 15% over blown 468 10 lbs boost cranks 6500 all day in a 19 Sanger bubble deck flat..w 32 gears scary fast............. never any bottom end failures............. freshen up the heads every 3 years.............. one thing I did do was take the check valve out of my oil filter adapter where it screws on and tap the hole and put a plug in it.................. The by pass valve blows open on high end and you lose oil pressure on a chev BB...............

·
Registered
39 Posts
Vavoline racing straight 40 weight and I make sure it's warm b4 I get on it...

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well it turns out the leak is in fact oil coming out from the top of the dip stick tube. Its a stock oil pan/ dip stick. Anyone have this problem before and how did you fix it.

DA

·
B.A.M aka "Black Azz Mike
2,925 Posts
Well it turns out the leak is in fact oil coming out from the top of the dip stick tube. Its a stock oil pan/ dip stick. Anyone have this problem before and how did you fix it.

DA

Rings?????? Do a leak down test.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Motor only has about 50 hours on it. I did a leak down and the percents were fine. Motor has a breather in the port valve cover and a PVC valve in the other.

Not sure why the presure build up but thinking of maybe a vacume pump for the pan.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Well it turns out the leak is in fact oil coming out from the top of the dip stick tube. Its a stock oil pan/ dip stick. Anyone have this problem before and how did you fix it. New Mildolen oil pan, no dipstick, a seald bolt with a level indicator, a puke tank (mines homade and not very big actually a VW. tank) I run 20/50 valvolene w/ 468 15 over ont the blower w/ 10 lbs boost, hasen't leaked a drop.............

DA
New Mildolen 10 qt pan, no dipstick, a sealed bolt W/ an indicator on the bottom, a puke tank, Don't need a big one just a 1 quart will do, I run 20/50 valvolene w/ 468 15 over blower 10 lbs. boost 32 gears only cranks 6500. Hasen't leaked a drop all summer............... I personally don't like Amsoil, had to replace all the lifters in my suburban at 110 k with the stuff....................

1 - 20 of 22 Posts