Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the coolest Neighbor in the world.Joe my neighbor & his his childhood friend just brought over this new deal, short story they used to race front engine dragsters in the 60`s and His friend race a Hydro back in the day. This last season they`ve came to almost all my races and knew I needed a bigger Blower with a MFI unit for this season....
It has 18 strips of telfon on Billet rotors & I have not opened up the wrapper yet to see exactly what they mean by 18 strips cause my old Blower only had 6 strips in it.. My question is this - what the heck are they talking about? Thanks in advice, Tom

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
I have the coolest Neighbor in the world.Joe my neighbor & his his childhood friend just brought over this new deal, short story they used to race front engine dragsters in the 60`s and His friend race a Hydro back in the day. This last season they`ve came to almost all my races and knew I needed a bigger Blower with a MFI unit for this season....
It has 18 strips of telfon on Billet rotors & I have not opened up the wrapper yet to see exactly what they mean by 18 strips cause my old Blower only had 6 strips in it.. My question is this - what the heck are they talking about? Thanks in advice, Tom
When the blower has 6 strips it means it is stripped on the tips of each lobe, one strip per lobe.(#1 arrows) When it has 18 strips, it has 2 additional strips on the side of each lobe.(#2 arrows) The tip seals help improve the seal between the case and the rotors and the rotor to rotor seal to some extent. The side strips improve the rotor to rotor seal only.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Premium Member
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When the blower has 6 strips it means it is stripped on the tips of each lobe, one strip per lobe.(#1 arrows) When it has 18 strips, it has 2 additional strips on the side of each lobe.(#2 arrows) The tip seals help improve the seal between the case and the rotors and the rotor to rotor seal to some extent. The side strips improve the rotor to rotor seal only.
Thanks Bob!

·
Registered
709 Posts

Bob, Now that this has been brought up.....I checked my Moonyham 871, it has three full length teflon strips per lobe, what is the reasoning behind mine and the blower you have in the picture?, learning this stuff is good, thanks......Also thanks to Tom for bringing this up.

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
Bob, Now that this has been brought up.....I checked my Moonyham 871, it has three full length teflon strips per lobe, what is the reasoning behind mine and the blower you have in the picture?, learning this stuff is good, thanks......Also thanks to Tom for bringing this up.
None. Yours should look very similar to the pic I posted. The rotors already have a raised shoulder where the teflon seal receiver groove is cut. You can see it in this pic. The teflon simply allows them to hold the clearances much tighter without the fear that the aluminum rotor will rub the aluminum case and gull and score the hell out of it. It may rub on the case for awhile, but not very long. In a full race alky and nitro deal they use stuff called nylatron that does ride on the case, and requires replacement fairly often to maintane max boost.

I run a 16 teflon strip Mooneyham gas deal and haven't had it restripped in 10 years, and it makes as much boost today as it did when I bought it.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Premium Member
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
None. Yours should look very similar to the pic I posted. The rotors already have a raised shoulder where the teflon seal receiver groove is cut. You can see it in this pic. The teflon simply allows them to hold the clearances much tighter without the fear that the aluminum rotor will rub the aluminum case and gull and score the hell out of it. It may rub on the case for awhile, but not very long. In a full race alky and nitro deal they use stuff called nylatron that does ride on the case, and requires replacement fairly often to maintane max boost.

I run a 16 teflon strip Mooneyham gas deal and haven't had it restripped in 10 years, and it makes as much boost today as it did when I bought it.
Bob - How big is your blower? Do you also run a Intercooler under the blower? On a GN deal what is your cubic inch allowed? Also how much boost do you run? say its 10 Ibs do also change pulleys to maintain boost when the air goes away through out the day? Thanks'

Chris - No problem I enjoy reading all Bob and few others have to post! I can make one start & not leak oil but still have a lot to learn! see you in March, Tom

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
Bob - How big is your blower? Do you also run a Intercooler under the blower? On a GN deal what is your cubic inch allowed? Also how much boost do you run? say its 10 Ibs do also change pulleys to maintain boost when the air goes away through out the day? Thanks'

Chris - No problem I enjoy reading all Bob and few others have to post! I can make one start & not leak oil but still have a lot to learn! see you in March, Tom
I run a 8-71.
The rules are a max 475 cid with a 6-71 @ 12 over, a 8-71 @ 3 over, a 10-71 @ 5 under. There is a number for a 14-71 but I can't remember it, and no one is currently running one. Yes I run a Superchiller. The boost is a between 10 and 12 psi depending on the air density and water temp thru the chiller.

I wish we could change pulleys for weather conditions. Burley Idaho (roughly 5000' physically) in the summer is a killer. Its almost always an indicated 7000+

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
We usually chase the air with adjustments to the pill and bypass. But were injected.

Bob How do you adjust with the carbs. Are you changing jets?

·
Registered
709 Posts

Thanks Bob, I got hung up on the "tips" explanation, thinking just the ends of the lobes, got it now.

Should be there Tom, hoping for Elsinore! Come on March.

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
We usually chase the air with adjustments to the pill and bypass. But were injected.

Bob How do you adjust with the carbs. Are you changing jets?
Yes, we have to re-jet for air. Its not nearly as obvious as a MFI, but you can't let it go to far off you're losing power.

MFI is totally dependent on you to determine the air flow thru the engine and the flow fuel is based purely on throttle position and engine speed.
A carb's flow fuel is based purely on pressure differential caused by air velocity thru it. So they are a little more forgiving. If they weren't, back when everything was carb'd, we would've had to rejet our cars every morning before leaving for work, and again to go home, plus at least 3 maybe 4 times just to go snow skiing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts