Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 245 Posts

·
steelcomp was here
26,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally going to take the time to post some pics on the blown 489 I'm building.
The engine is as folows:
Mk IV BB Chev, four bolt, + .030
Eagle 4.25 forged crank
Probe 6.385 H beam rods
Probe SRS forged flat tops w/ JE rings
Clevite H series bearings
Rollmaster timing set
Romac Balancer w/dual keyways
Custom hyd roller, Morel lifters
Stefs aluminum pan, Melling pump (supplied w/the pan)
Canfield 310 heads w/ severe duty valves, hyd roller springs and Ti retainers,
Crane gold rockers and Canfield stud girdle. Heads were done here in my shop...they came with guides and seats unfinished. 5 angle intake valve job, radiused ex, bowls blended, chambers CNC'd by Canfield. Heads flowed in the 360/290 range @ .800. Decent for a simple bowl blend. Ports were untouched.
Blower is a BDS 871 package w/ (2) 850 Holleys prepped by AED. We'll see how that goes.
Ignition will be MSD small dia. dist w/ Crane HiFire 6 w/ rev limiter.

Block prep...remove all the casting flash and blend all sharp edges. Normally I do this before machining. Block was fully machined on a CNC and the final bores were honed on a new Rottler hone. Mains were also aligned. Everything on the block checked dead nuts.

Before:

·
I'm No Expert
3,139 Posts
X2. What work was done where the oil filter adaptor goes and why? Thanks.
He was removing casting flash and blending sharp area's, my guess here is that he did the same for a couple reasons... Better flow, less hp required by the pump (increase probably so small it wouldnt even matter) but more importantly my guess is that removing the shape edges from this areas reduces the risk of having one of those peices break off and run a muck in the engine! Just my guess, i'm no expert!

·
steelcomp was here
26,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After a thorough cleaning with solvent and then hot soapy water I was ready to set the crank and check the thrust. Mind you by this time, I've gone through two different sets of main and rod bearings to get my clearances. The Eagle crank wasn't very consistant from journal to journal, but I finaly settled on what I had.

The cam is next. This is a Bullet steel roller with an iron gear.

·
steelcomp was here
26,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
X2. What work was done where the oil filter adaptor goes and why? Thanks.
I blend all the sharp edges in the oil passages and try and help the flow in the direction it's going. Just helps the oil flow easier, helps keep oil temp down, just makes a happier engine.:D

·
steelcomp was here
26,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
NOrmally I do all the mockup and measuring before the final assembly, but in this case, I assembled as I went. Since this is a relatively mild longblock, I didn't anticipate any problems. Of course, that usually bites you in the ass. We'll see.

Here I stick a piston in the hole and check the deck height. I do this with no rings.

Then I degree the cam at the lifter. I needed to make a 2* adjustment here to get the intake c/l at 112*. It actually ended up at 113.5, but with a little chain stretch, it'll be closer to 112.

·
steelcomp was here
26,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
He was removing casting flash and blending sharp area's, my guess here is that he did the same for a couple reasons... Better flow, less hp required by the pump (increase probably so small it wouldnt even matter) but more importantly my guess is that removing the shape edges from this areas reduces the risk of having one of those peices break off and run a muck in the engine! Just my guess, i'm no expert!
All good reasons.:D

·
steelcomp was here
26,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
At this point, the rings have been gapped, I've done a liquid measure on the piston dome (sorry I didn't get pics of that) and I've assembled the rack of pistons. Once I'm convinced everything is ready to go together, it's time to paint.

·
steelcomp was here
26,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What kind of paint did you use?
Just NAPA spraycan gloss black engine paint. It got a couple coats of SEM Prime first.

And who used it for you?
Ouch...that wasn't nice.:D

Hey Steel, whats your take on the ring location on these? I cant say I like them much on an a/n deal....maybe its just the srp pistons I shouldnt like...?
Some guys really don't like these pistons, but I didn't see anything terrible, just not an expensive piston. Rings were far down enoug to not worry me. Expansion groove between top and second ring.
JE makes the SRP, these are Probe SRS...the SRP's are definitely a nicer piston, but more expensive.

I'll have more pics later today.

·
Cantard
5,017 Posts
I have just had some trouble were the valve relief is. That piece is major thin and have lost it a couple times. I is while pushing the pump gas limits but I still hate them.

·
steelcomp was here
26,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
OK...so where were we...oh yeah, all painted and ready to go. Pistons are all done, rackced, and ready to load. After the paint, I go through and install all the freeze plugs and galley plugs I can. So now I assemble the short block.

Here's a little detail work on the rear cap...

1 - 20 of 245 Posts