Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 1998 HTM SR24 with a Bravo 1, I had it at Lake Havasu last weekend for it's first trip out and the drive blew up when I was going across the lake at about 65mph. I think I had it trimed too high when it broke :( I don't want to have to deal with this again, but don't have the money to buy a new or bult drive so I was thinking of getting a used/rebuilt XR upper and reusing my IMCO lower. Boat has about 450hp and would like to put a blower on it in the future, so I want to stay away from Mickey Mouse stuff. Does anyone have a XR upper they would like to sell or know of anyone else that does?

My Best,
Michael

·
Banne'd
2,568 Posts
Call this guy, he may have it. Jim 602-689-8336

He's been around for 20+ years selling boats and boat parts. He just gave me a nice SS prop to test, didn't need any money to do it.

G

·
If I were you I'd call Max Machine Worx in Havi and see what they can do for you. You might be surprised, they are very competitive.

·
Premium Member
1,953 Posts
PM Hullshot, he might be able to help you at a very reasonable price.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I just bought a 1998 HTM SR24 with a Bravo 1, I had it at Lake Havasu last weekend for it's first trip out and the drive blew up when I was going across the lake at about 65mph. I think I had it trimed too high when it broke :( I don't want to have to deal with this again, but don't have the money to buy a new or bult drive so I was thinking of getting a used/rebuilt XR upper and reusing my IMCO lower. Boat has about 450hp and would like to put a blower on it in the future, so I want to stay away from Mickey Mouse stuff. Does anyone have a XR upper they would like to sell or know of anyone else that does?

My Best,
Michael
try sterndrive engineering look up on computer, recently bought upper and lower for 1500 bran new 3 year warranty

·
Ultra 27 Shadow
1,870 Posts

My Best,
Michael
Is the housing junk or reuseable? If reuseable then like Rvrat said check Max Machine Worx for a rebuild on the upper. My advice is that I would have the whole drive gone through since this was bought used and this was on the first trip out and you do not have alot of HP going to the drive. To me this happened due to prior abuse and the lower may be next. JMO Also check www.offshoreonly.com there are usually XR's there for sale.

Mike

·
Big Boys Toys
348 Posts
Welcome to the wonderful world of trying to keep Bravo XR drives together. I've got an Amer. Offshore 26' cat w a blown 540 and XR drive, tore up the upper last year and the lower this year. I'm very gentle w/ it getting on plane and jumping wakes. Guess just too much torque for those small gears and shafts. Anyway, shop around and you might find some upgraded parts at reasonable prices, I did. Went to IMCO lower driveshaft and gear set from Ebay and had my Mercruiser dealer set it up. So far so good. Good luck.:)

·
Ultra 27 Shadow
1,870 Posts
Welcome to the wonderful world of trying to keep Bravo XR drives together. I've got an Amer. Offshore 26' cat w a blown 540 and XR drive, tore up the upper last year and the lower this year. I'm very gentle w/ it getting on plane and jumping wakes. Guess just too much torque for those small gears and shafts. Anyway, shop around and you might find some upgraded parts at reasonable prices, I did. Went to IMCO lower driveshaft and gear set from Ebay and had my Mercruiser dealer set it up. So far so good. Good luck.:)
He really should not have an issue...he is only putting 450hp to it.

·
Registered
176 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
i have the same boat with a blower...Call Max Machine in Havasu...Mine is in its fourth year...flawless,,Nice guys they even have some used parts if your on a budget,,,,,

·
pay me or pay me no mind
3,269 Posts
PM Hullshot, he might be able to help you at a very reasonable price.
X2 he keeps our stuff out on the water...and fast turn around

1 - 16 of 16 Posts