Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just blew the upper and lower end of my drive. Looking for options????It is a OMC cobra outdrive on a '89 18 open bow boat. The boat is pretty clean, interior real clean, V/M single axle trailer real cherry w/ almost new tires. The motor is 4.3L chevy and runs perfect.I was quoted $1700 for repair, and dont think its worth that investment in that boat..

I have a couple people that will give me $500 for the motor, its carbed.
I think the trailer should be worth $500-$750.
Are there any other items worth selling, ex. manifolds, marine starter, alternators, etc.

I think the boat in working order is worth about $3000-$3500, so before this gets torn apart, cuold make a good purchase for someone thats can repair..
Any advice appreciated.. Thankns, Steve

·
Banned
742 Posts
Sterndrive Engineering Company makes a 'helmet piece' that allows the Cobra transom piece to accept an ALPHA drive unit. This would bring the boat back into 'modern boating' and raise the value of the boat. They also offer complete NEW Alpha replacement drives for around the price you stated. (with a year warranty) IMHO a low cost running 'extra boat' is worth the effort and money to keep it 'ready to go', at these prices. You have spent more than this much on just a set of heads in the past, right ?

·
It's what we do
723 Posts
If it is as you describe, it is worth fixing.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just blew the upper and lower end of my drive. Looking for options????It is a OMC cobra outdrive on a '89 18 open bow boat. The boat is pretty clean, interior real clean, V/M single axle trailer real cherry w/ almost new tires. The motor is 4.3L chevy and runs perfect.I was quoted $1700 for repair, and dont think its worth that investment in that boat..

I have a couple people that will give me $500 for the motor, its carbed.
I think the trailer should be worth $500-$750.
Are there any other items worth selling, ex. manifolds, marine starter, alternators, etc.

I think the boat in working order is worth about $3000-$3500, so before this gets torn apart, cuold make a good purchase for someone thats can repair..
Any advice appreciated.. Thankns, Steve

Just like GFINISHLINE said Sterndrive Engineering Company!

I'm going with SEI if and when my drive goes!!

http://www.sterndrive.cc/

1 - 4 of 4 Posts