Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
V-Drive 4 ever
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Done alil searching and can't really find what i'm looking for.. Doing a switch on my Schiada from running race fuel (110 Gas) to E-85.. already got carbs being built for E85 and switching engines to larger cubic inch 565... im reusing 8-71 blower with new carbs.. I Have a Supperchiller on the Gas Blown engine deal .. was wondering am I going to need the Superchiller on the New fuel im switching too? I know E85 runs a lil cooler then Gas, so will I benefit by keeping it and running it or do I need to eliminate that from the Build?

·
Highaboosta
3,431 Posts
How much boost are you going to run ?

If you're only going to run 10 or 12# on E85 you will be better off without the intercooler.

With alcohol fuels you need heat to vaporize the fuel and it takes 173 degrees to vaporize Ethanol.

·
280 Profile Cat W/575sci
204 Posts
How much boost are you going to run ?

If you're only going to run 10 or 12# on E85 you will be better off without the intercooler.

With alcohol fuels you need heat to vaporize the fuel and it takes 173 degrees to vaporize Ethanol.
Is that why you removed your intercooler?

·
V-Drive 4 ever
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
were gonna be running around 12lbs no more then 14 max .. its a 565 inch engine ..
what kind of compression are they running.. cause I do need to order pistons and was curious about that as well

·
Highaboosta
3,431 Posts
Is that why you removed your intercooler?
Yes. No data but it felt like noticeably more power without the intercooler.
I've run it up to 30# boost without the intercooler.

IMO intercoolers are for higher energy fuels like gasoline or diesel.

Compression ratio is 9.4:1

I read the "5000 HP on Methanol" book and learned a lot about fuel vaporizing and latent heat.

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
were gonna be running around 12lbs no more then 14 max .. its a 565 inch engine ..
what kind of compression are they running.. cause I do need to order pistons and was curious about that as well
Your not going to want to run that kind of compression because it just makes power and shortens the engine life between freshings.
Like Unchained said, he's run as a high as 30 psi and 9.4 motor. Running like 10/10.5 to 1 and 12-14 psi is easily doable.

His 9.4 and 30 psi is roughly 19 to 1 running. 10 to 1 and 15 lbs is like 15 to 1.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
V-Drive 4 ever
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
was planning on going with 8.5to1 compression around 12-14lbs of boost is what its being set up as.. do they need a lil more compression then that? not looking to race it just something that makes good power and is drivable in the 20ft schiada

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
was planning on going with 8.5to1 compression around 12-14lbs of boost is what its being set up as.. do they need a lil more compression then that? not looking to race it just something that makes good power and is drivable in the 20ft schiada
It depends on how you drive it, and where you want the power.
The blower boost is 100% directly tied to your right foot. Not RPM or load. If you want a nice snappy low rpm deal, you run a little more compression and timing, and boost in the 12-14 range. If you are looking for the hard hitting full throttle power, you can run the 8.5 and pour the boost to it, but it won't have the low end PART THROTTLE snap of the higher compression. With 565 inches with any boost, part throttle low end usually isn't a problem.
In a unboosted condition, 8.5 is a little less than I would like to run.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
The blower boost is 100% directly tied to your right foot. Not RPM or load. If you want a nice snappy low rpm deal, you run a little more compression and timing, and boost in the 12-14 range. If you are looking for the hard hitting full throttle power, you can run the 8.5 and pour the boost to it, but it won't have the low end PART THROTTLE snap of the higher compression. With 565 inches with any boost, part throttle low end usually isn't a problem.
How could this be accurate if blower boost is as instant as you claim? Why would you have to bump the compression to make it more snappy on the bottom end? I mean if that boost is right there under your right foot, then hell, you should be able to run 7-1 comp and with instant boost it should make instant power correct?
Maybe that boost isnt as instant as once thought. :)hand

·
Members only
4,518 Posts
Billdoe, I ran my 557 on back to back runs with and with out the intercooler core. On my Race pack I noticed about 1.5 lbs more boost. No rpm gain and no really noticable differnance in performance. When I ran the motor on Carsons dyno we shut the water down to the cooler and watched the intake temp rise pretty quick. It was his opinion that on a recreational motor or endurance style (not drag race) the intercooler was better to have then to have not. I am running some where around 10-1 and the boost according to my guage is 18 psi. On the dyno it was reading closer to 15 psi. I suppose if I were to ditch the IMCO exhaust for some zoomies and get a real blower then maybe I would remove the intercooler.

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
The blower boost is 100% directly tied to your right foot. Not RPM or load. If you want a nice snappy low rpm deal, you run a little more compression and timing, and boost in 12-14 range. If you are looking for the hard hitting full throttle power, you can run the 8.5 and pour the boost to it, but it won't have the low end PART THROTTLE snap of the higher compression.
with 565 inches with any boost, part throttle low end usually isn't a problem.
How could this be accurate if blower boost is as instant as you claim? Why would you have to bump the compression to make it more snappy on the bottom end? I mean if that boost is right there under your right foot, then hell, you should be able to run 7-1 comp and with instant boost it should make instant power correct?
Maybe that boost isnt as instant as once thought. :)hand
Fuck you Hass, you shit stirring POS. I not going to fall for baitng bullshit. LEARN TO FUCKING READ AND COMPREHEND. Selective reading comprehension seems to only effect the turbo **** for some reason.

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
Billdoe, I ran my 557 on back to back runs with and with out the intercooler core. On my Race pack I noticed about 1.5 lbs more boost. No rpm gain and no really noticable differnance in performance. When I ran the motor on Carsons dyno we shut the water down to the cooler and watched the intake temp rise pretty quick. It was his opinion that on a recreational motor or endurance style (not drag race) the intercooler was better to have then to have not. I am running some where around 10-1 and the boost according to my guage is 18 psi. On the dyno it was reading closer to 15 psi. I suppose if I were to ditch the IMCO exhaust for some zoomies and get a real blower then maybe I would remove the intercooler.
The secret to latent heat is FUEL FLOW!! It doesn't help much at the flow rate you drive around at. :)hand

·
Registered
196 Posts
No idea. They don't keep me in the loop, and God only knows I was never one to push the leading edge. I have always been a follower, monkey see, monkey do. I guess if we jump back in I have to play catch up.
in other words you aren't telling......

·
Registered
196 Posts
In other words, the teams don't exactly share that stuff.
How much would I put in a E85 engine. Lets just say its not easy to over compress a 470 ci engine with 12-14 lbs of boost
Is the gn class limited on fuel type, or is it at the teams digression, other than exotics like nitro
is e85 and methanol legal

never mind I just read the rules again

·
Members only
4,518 Posts
In other words, the teams don't exactly share that stuff.
How much would I put in a E85 engine. Lets just say its not easy to over compress a 470 ci engine with 12-14 lbs of boost
Looks like the e85 boats are not stacking up well against wrinkles gasoline boat... I figured after
e85 was compared to menthanol there would be a huge differance in performance...:)Unsure

1 - 20 of 21 Posts