Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Boat 502
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody out there running a river boat w/ a big blower and no intercooler.....on gas ??

·
Registered
183 Posts
I ran a 496 with a 10-71 underdriven 9%. I got rid of the 10-71 and ordered a 14-71 last week! Im gonna run that 18-20% under. I figure the big blower should act like an intercooler ;) ......we will see.

p.s. I never ran a boost gauge with the 10-71.

·
Boat 502
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay, good to know. I really don't want to run one if its not needed. Curious how much hp the intercooler is worth and also if there is one out there that isnt so damn tall.

Anybody know how much a intercooler weighs????

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I have a whipple intercooler that sits down into the manifold. It is about 2" tall, above the manifold. I'm sure it isn't helping the flow through the heads any.

·
Registered
319 Posts
meth injection

I'm curious about the meth injection instead of the IC. how to know how to tune it? how much meth it uses? I'm thinking Turbos instead of roots blower.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I have a whipple intercooler that sits down into the manifold. It is about 2" tall, above the manifold. I'm sure it isn't helping the flow through the heads any.
We run the same, did some dyno testing on a 600" motor, screw blown 18 lbs boost on pump gas. About 1 lb restriction thru the intercooler core was all we saw.

·
6TH STREET TERROR 4 HIRE
797 Posts
Alky inter coolers work best:))THumbsUp

·
Premium Member
1,013 Posts
I ran my blower for 10 years at 15ibs of boost at 11.1% overdrive on a 461 BBC never any issues until the dampner spun and I didnt realize it so I added a bunch of timming thinking the mag slipped fixed that then it split the bore and since water is so soft compress it tore up a bunch of stuff.

I remember reading in HB years ago I think it was someone big in the industry saying they have only ever seen around 75 to 100hp but the company was listing up to 125hp... You racing this season??? Hope all is well!!!!! See you at ming if you race this year. Tom

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
Actually Ahsumtoy, when I was researching IC for my GN I looked into the Whipple, and on a manifold like you posted, it really isn't as bad as I would have thought. I would have bought one except I got a killer deal on a SuperChiller, and the Whipple is serious coin. Damn good exchanger though.
But the IC on a manifold like a Weiand, or a BDS street manifold, and it sucks. It need some depth to the plenum under it to flow well. Low profile manifolds kill it.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
239 Posts
I went from a 10-71 to a 14-71. I ran the 10 about 10% over for 6 lbs of boost thru a superchiller and the 14 10% under for the same boost across a more efficient I/C. It would be a good idea to run a boost gauge and plan on going up a few jet sizes on your secondaries.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Actually Ahsumtoy, when I was researching IC for my GN I looked into the Whipple, and on a manifold like you posted, it really isn't as bad as I would have thought. I would have bought one except I got a killer deal on a SuperChiller, and the Whipple is serious coin. Damn good exchanger though.
But the IC on a manifold like a Weiand, or a BDS street manifold, and it sucks. It need some depth to the plenum under it to flow well. Low profile manifolds kill it.

I think its also a problem with the new TVS series blowers (like the TVS 2300).

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
Thats due to the same problem, except on the blower side instead of the manifold side. TVS blowers have issues with all IC that lack space between the blower and the IC. It has to do with the discharge of the blower. GMC roots blowers and hi helix blowers with front delta openings are shit in a Superchiller or a Whipple as well. BDS sells a 2" spacer just for that reason.
But you do bring up an excellent point. You can just throw some blowers on a IC, or some IC's on any manifold and have them fucntion properly.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Boat 502
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I ran my blower for 10 years at 15ibs of boost at 11.1% overdrive on a 461 BBC never any issues until the dampner spun and I didnt realize it so I added a bunch of timming thinking the mag slipped fixed that then it split the bore and since water is so soft compress it tore up a bunch of stuff.

I remember reading in HB years ago I think it was someone big in the industry saying they have only ever seen around 75 to 100hp but the company was listing up to 125hp... You racing this season??? Hope all is well!!!!! See you at ming if you race this year. Tom
I have always had carb motors and think I might go blown this time...not sure yet. Either way, I'll make a few races again this year. See ya in March bud.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts