Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
May be a dumb ? but I'm picking up a Panasonic BD55 player tomorrow.....when it needs an update does the disc just not work or will the machine let you know?

·
Islander Moho Trash
2,119 Posts
In my Sony player the BRD will not play when its update time. Last time i just called Sony and they mailed me the free software to install. Kind of a pain when you want to watch something new but the technology is rapidly evolving.

·
Premium Member
5,488 Posts
Do we really think Blu-Ray is going to fully take off or follow the path of the betamax.
Hear me out...it appears simply watching TV and or home move is becoming more and more costly and complicated WTF!.
Not many including myself are interested in upgrading to a Blu-Ray player when I don't see all that huge of a difference or, could care less about counting the hairs on some ones head...regular DVD is just fine for my viewing needs.

·
Islander Moho Trash
2,119 Posts
Do we really think Blu-Ray is going to fully take off or follow the path of the betamax.
Hear me out...it appears simply watching TV and or home move is becoming more and more costly and complicated WTF!.
Not many including myself are interested in upgrading to a Blu-Ray player when I don't see all that huge of a difference or, could care less about counting the hairs on some ones head...regular DVD is just fine for my viewing needs.
Regular DVD's look way better on a BR player. You can get a Sony for less than 200 bucks bundled with the hdmi cable at costco.

·
Registered
3,012 Posts

We have a Sony BlueRay we purchase at Costco as soon as the HDDVD disc's died off. There is a HUGE difference in Blue ray disc's and std DVD's. Even Std disc's in the player look WAY better. Was worth every penny. The ONLY thing I do not care for is the length of time it takes to initially read the information on the disc. Pretty lengthy.
Do you have a quality TV? May not see much if you dont have a Kung-Foo Tv ???

·
Registered
86 Posts
I really like the picture on the Blue Ray personally.
The thing I dont like, and maybe its just my setup, is the regular DVD movies I have play with 5.1 surround and every blue ray I've rented only has 2 channel stereo. Even if I choose 5.1 in the Blue Ray DVDs setup I can't seem to get 5.1 out of it. I am using a PS3, HDMI to the TV and Optical to the Surround so there should be no issue.

Using the vhs/beta analogy the Blue Ray is the VHS. HD DVD was better just as beta was better back in the day. It was all about the $$$ then and now. Blue Ray is here to stay.

·
What the Hell is That?
1,633 Posts
A Blue ray player needs updates?

Personally I just found out I can stream HD from the XBOX with netflix. Also my computer is hooked up to my TV with a VGA cable (42 LCD) now if I added a Blueray play drive in my computer would i have to pick up a HDMI video card? do they even make one. I think that route is alot cheaper than the whole blue ray player.

·
MEDIUM PIMPIN!!!
1,494 Posts
Make sure you TV has a 120 hz processor. It is a huge difference than a regular 1080P TV. Night and Day.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts