Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
I have seen turbo charged rotary motors in a mini picklefork. Possibly with the right set up it may work ok but I think that reinventing the wheel is going to cost more than going with a conventional set up. He will have to come up with mounts, exaust, PTO, etc. I would reccomend a light boat and you may have to use a smaller impeller or a gear reduction box as a jet pump loses eficiency at a certain RPM level. Also computers and water are not usually the best of friends. This set up would scream in an outdrive but I am not so sure that this would be the best use for this motor. A buggy would be a great place for this motor I would say.

Cy

·
Boss of the McIntyre Mob
1,981 Posts
That motor would rock in a sand rail!!!

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,078 Posts
My friend plans to put a 5ltr all aluminum v-12 in his boat. Is there any reason why he shouldnt.
I know a guy who put a TT one in his sand car... 900 hp :)dev
Ported head and intake every thing else was stock.

I'll see if I can find spec's and pictures of it. Did you know that on the new V-12's from (6 yrs or so back) that the throttle peddle was drive by wire and it didn't open the throttle body more,it made the cam lift the valve more. It was/is one trick engine.

Sleeper CP :D

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,078 Posts
The owner of Pro-Tech metals in El Cajon has a buggy with one in it with Twin Turbos. The thing hauls ass.
JD sold it to some guy in Vegas.

S CP :D

·
Bostick Racing Engines
1,063 Posts
JD sold it to some guy in Vegas.

I did the machine work (sleeved the block, ported the heads, etc..) JD's... Dose did the assembly. Also did the adaptor plate and flywheel (that was fun) It was one bad mo-fo... blew the tires off the chasis dyno... if you go to Dose dyno, you can still see little bits of rubber stuck to te ceiling of the dyno room. He has the other sleeved block and ported heads that were done at the same time, he wants to do a compression/nitrous build... :)devil...just never got around to it. I do have to say... BMW does make a damn nice piece... too bad they are so expensive to build (vs an LS for example)

Btw... Malgobay... I have a cnc program (mastercam) for the rear of the block to make an engine plate and the same for the crankshaft for a pto if your buddy needs such items.

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,078 Posts
it. I do have to say... BMW does make a damn nice piece... too bad they are so expensive to build (vs an LS for example)

Dose showed me all the internals on that engine. Did it have a factory dry sump or just the scraper and separate pick-up tubes in the pan?

I sent JD an e-mail asking if he had any picture he could send me of the installation ( My old email crashed and I lost the ones I had) he has a new computer and doesn't have any of his old stuff loaded. He did say it made 750 hp at 6,500 w/ 18 lbs boost. He said I confused the 900 hp number with his new Mustang engine.

Sleeper CP :D

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
My friend plans to put a 5ltr all aluminum v-12 in his boat. Is there any reason why he shouldnt.
I would think there would be a shit ton of fabrication work to get it mounted up to the hull and hooked to the jet. If he can fab all his mounts and drive line then F-it and do it.. If he cant he may want to consider the price envolved in mounting such a unconventional drive in jet boat. Also since your only talking 300+ HP i would think a comperable small block could get you there at a fraction of the price... Also think about building a one off exhuast system.. Seems like it would be pretty pricey.

Just my .02.

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
the new direct inject motors hit the US in the 760 which was the N73 motor, it was not a vavletronic motor like the N62/TU, the N73 still uses the vanos system. The N62/TU motor which after about 45 seconds will open the throttle plate to 100% open and use the vavletronic motors to regulate valve opening at certain throttle pedal inputs. the older N72 used dual eml throttle which were also drive by wire and they have been in the E38 750il since 96.
all the v12 are small displacement but high reving, 438 HP with 444lb torque.

The boat would have to be lightweight for a motor like this as a drop in bmw motor to perform well in a boat. It would work but might cost way too much to get it marinized.

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,078 Posts
all the v12 are small displacement but high reving, 438 HP with 444lb torque.

I thought that 320 hp number sounded low, but something in the back of my brain was telling me that the first yr of the 850's were low hp engines. I think it was all intake restriction though ? :)bulb

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
I've owned 12 cyl BMW's and in fact, the E38 750IL (99), was the best car I've ever owned. There are two basic models of the V12. The original 5ltr, and the later 5.4 ltr. If your friend it going to do it, go with the 5.4 ltr motor. Lots of improvements. The motors are VERY strong, have fordged cranks and 6 main caps. You can do a lot with them. There are a bunch of crazy 1000hp twin turbo cars over in europe. The 850CSI had a 5.6 ltr motor, but they are rare and expensive.

Darrell.

·
Highaboosta
3,431 Posts
An interesting thing I read that BMW tried out with the direct injection setup was starting the engine without using a starter motor.
When you turn the key on the ECU would determine which cylinder was ready to fire and it would inject a drop of fuel and fire it.

·
Banned
3,605 Posts
An interesting thing I read that BMW tried out with the direct injection setup was starting the engine without using a starter motor.
When you turn the key on the ECU would determine which cylinder was ready to fire and it would inject a drop of fuel and fire it.
That is a bitchin idea! Did it work?

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,078 Posts
A drop ? would that be atomized ? :)bulb ;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts