Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Custom user title
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So in trying to decide if I should put my boat up for sale I called HTM2 to ask about their classified section and find out if they were moving any of the used boats. The gentlemen I spoke with was pretty helpful and spent some time on the phone with me.

All the boats I have sold in the past were sold to people I know so this would be a new experience for me. Anyone care to share their experiences with boat brokers or make a recommendation on any in or near So Cal? Any experiences with HTM? I guess the advantage to them is that people that are coming in are looking for an HTM specifically. What are the pros/cons of using a broker vs posting ads all over the internet by yourself? Do you limit your exposure by using a broker or can you still list it all over the internet by yourself? Trying to figure out how much to list it for is a huge pain too. I don't need to sell it yesterday but I also don't want it to sit around through summer either so I would like to get it priced right.

Thanks

·
Islander Transient
1,881 Posts
Contact Andy01, he seems to flip a lot of boats and everyone has said positive things about their experience with him.

·
It is what it is
2,650 Posts
Better yet, call Andy and have him broker a deal to Steve. Not saying your not a good negotiator, but Steve is world class, and you'll need a professional like Andy to put the deal together.;):D

·
Custom user title
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I have noticed a few listings by Steve. I assume he is looking for rock bottom deals on boats from people that need to sell quickly and then puts them up for sale for top dollar? Maybe put a few bucks into them to polish them up and raise the resale value or does he really just change his mind on boats that often lol.

·
Premium Member
1,393 Posts
I had a very good expierience with Ted at Boaters Outlet in Upland, very stand up guy. I recently bought a boat from him with some hair on the deal from the previous owner. He made my purchase a clean transaction acting as the DMV with all the paperwork generated from his office. He does the negotiating for you and he sells a lot of boats.

·
C Ya on da lake
6,991 Posts
I had a very good expierience with Ted at Boaters Outlet in Upland, very stand up guy. I recently bought a boat from him with some hair on the deal from the previous owner. He made my purchase a clean transaction acting as the DMV with all the paperwork generated from his office. He does the negotiating for you and he sells a lot of boats.
ted has always helped me and done pretty well, he helped sell my last boat and made it easy... andy01 obviously does good work too and lots of peeps here on boards are familiar with him. I think it depends a bit on what you are selling, time you are selling and even where you are selling... know your audience and cater to em...

one of the hardest things for me was not being able to use my boat while someone is trying to sell it... reason is, you never know when someone wants to see it and you dont want to be using it the day a buyer comes with his checkbook looking for it and its not there.

good luck... maybe start with it in spam section here...

·
Registered
483 Posts
Contact Andy01, he seems to flip a lot of boats and everyone has said positive things about their experience with him.
Thank you sirs!

Better yet, call Andy and have him broker a deal to Steve. Not saying your not a good negotiator, but Steve is world class, and you'll need a professional like Andy to put the deal together.;):D
I don't about dealing with Steve. We BS back and forth about everything else and forget to sell something. LOL

Big Inch,
There are a lot of ways you can sell your boat in todays market.
You can advertise it yourself, pay for advertising and show it. Advertising for a nice add on boat trader will run you more then $100 month for the listing. Plus offshoreonly and such. You keep the boat and use it as you want until it sells.
You take it to boaters outlet or HTM, they have walk in traffic and advertise the boat. They may have a walk in buyer that bumps into your boat and buys it. Odds are they are going to find boaters outlet or HTM on the internet, meaning if your boat was advertised on the internet they probably would have seen it anyway. You also no longer have a boat to use unless you go pick it up from them, that also means they now have a boat to use. For "demos" or "test" drives.
You broker a boat with me, you keep it you use it. I advertise it, show it and do the delivery of it. I don't do demos until we have a deal put together and the buyer simply wants a lake test. I make the entire process easy, as most brokers do. But I don't have walk in traffic. Also keep in mind a broker has people calling him often "looking" for a certain type of boat. We all talk to a lot of people on a regular basis. I have sold boats that weren't even advertised yet.
As for buyers services, brokers will offer financing, insurance and shipping. Things you you can offer as well, we just have them in place already.
Remember you are going to pay 5-10 percent of the selling price to a broker. If you try to price your boat at the top of the market and then add 10 percent to the price you may have just priced yourself out of the market.

Hiope that helps
Andy H

·
Registered
80 Posts
We used Ted to sell our Cobra Razor a couple years ago, he did a good job, moved it pretty quick and got the price we needed.

·
Premium Member
1,393 Posts
We used Ted to sell our Cobra Razor a couple years ago, he did a good job, moved it pretty quick and got the price we needed.
Oh, they had a Cobra that I almost bought... Orange, blue white cat...

Have you seen Ted's V-drive? I think It's an old Sanger... Probably the nicest V-drive I've seen....

·
Wade & Denise
2,055 Posts
No F-ing way...Burn it 1st....

·
Hub Cap Annie & Wheel
1,926 Posts
Andy 01 comes highly reccomended and Ted(Boaters Outlet) is very close to my shop here in Upland and has an awesome reputation. Hallett use to send all their resale boats to him but they are now doing them themselves.

·
Registered
5,838 Posts
Orange, Blue and White... but not a cat.

I saw it in person. It was a 26 Venom with an HO. Nice boat, needed some interior work/repairs (torn seats, nasty carpet, missing trim peices). The boat had no storage space at all. Not even any pockets or anything, just cup holders, I thought that was shitty.

I think it sold for 42k... Not bad.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts