Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had a cover made for my boat and Its not 100% waterproof, its water resistant.. I was wondering what I could use on it to help it out alittle . It gets wet in the seams more than anything

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
679 Posts
Cover for the cover

I had a cover made for my boat and Its not 100% waterproof, its water resistant.. I was wondering what I could use on it to help it out alittle . It gets wet in the seams more than anything

Thanks
Put it under that shed!

The cover I use isn't anywhere near that nice, but I always have a tarp on top of that. Extends life of the cover and is waterproof.

·
tintingsandiego
1,063 Posts
I usually have my good fiber/fabric breathable cover on first then a cheapo grey tarp that I replace bout twice a year on top. Doing this I am able to keep the good cover from being sun damaged. It also has kept my interior from getting mildew by allowing to breath still.

·
Premium Member
5,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Let me try this 1 more time :rolleyes:

While gone to a race or goin down the road I'd like to find a product that you can use to waterproof the boat cover like Scotch guard or something like that .. When the boat is at home it sets nice and dry in my garage or shop .. I'm just lookin for something to help it out while away from home :thumb:

·
Premium Member
5,488 Posts
Seriously, save your money on the 'fabric guard' yes it will work but not for long...unless you reapply it over and over.
I too have a custom fit Sunbrella boat cover for my 21' Daytona...since 1995 it's been stored outside and I've ALWAYS used a 12x25 'silver tarp' over the fancy one. This saves it from bird crap and the other elements of nature and especially the Sun.
During winter months the block is full of antifreeze and the engine is sprayed down with WD40. I also keep two open boxes of 'moth balls' in the boat > those do keep live creatures (mice etc) OUT! When I uncover the boat in Spring it looks like the day I put it to bed...'perfect'!
BTW, the silver tarp is a thicker material vs the thin blue ones...and the 'silver' reflects the sun to keep the inside temps down.
tarpsdirect.com

·
Registered
6,573 Posts
mike, I had over 100,000 miles road towing the swtd with the cover on. towed through monsoons several times. my cover had no liner, which several guys have. I think the liner protects the boat a lot more than a cover without it.
but I never really worried too much about "waterproofing" the cover. one year, coming back from mf, that monsoon was raining so hard you couldn't see 50' in front of the truck. people bailing off the side of I-10 one after another. but 50 miles later, although the boat was a little damp the cover was completely dry. nothing important got wet. over all those years of towing, had to have the cover patched a few times.

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
How about that never wet stuff rustoleum makes now? Here good stuff about it waterproofing fabrics, anything you spray it on.was thinkn itd work good on a bottom if itd stay long.i know ranchers have been using it to waterproof canopies on tractors.

·
Registered
92 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have mixed Thompson water seal and water in a Hudson sprayer and applied that to the cover. Worked pretty well for me.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts