1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Banned
4,957 Posts
That sure looks like a lot of roped off area and CSI stuff for a crash site.

·
Marine Organism
12,743 Posts
And the guy is a State Senator! :)sphss

It takes common sense and a lot of care to pilot any water craft at night! Dumbass! :|err

·
Registered
720 Posts
I will be very surprised, if they (Gov't) don't cover it up and down play it BIG time.:|err

·
Unhyphenated American
1,938 Posts
The guy is not exactly what I would call smart. I grew up in Kalispell. I learned how to operate a boat on Flathead lake. The biggest problem with operating at night on Flathead aside from the obvious shore line is the large amount of floating and partially submerged objects. They are hard enough to see during the day let alone at night! We launched a couple of times at night to watch the fireworks in the bay but I would never operate above wake speed at night on that lake!

·
Premium Member
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
720 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Here you go:

http://www.fox13now.com/news/nationworld/sns-ap-us-rehberg-boat-crash,0,6743803.story

Just in case they "move" the link again:

In this Aug. 27, 2009 photo, authorities investigate near the scene of a boat crash in Bigfork, Mont. U.S. Rep. Denny Rehberg and four other people were hospitalized in stable condition Friday after their 22-foot boat ran into rocks in the dark. Hospital President Velinda Stevens said she couldn't say anything else about the incident and referred questions to Rehberg's office, which said it was working on getting details before commenting. (AP Photo/Bigfork Eagle, Alex Strickland) (Alex Strickland, AP / August 28, 2009)

Related links

HELENA, Mont. (AP) — A spokesman for a Montana congressman who was injured when a boat he was in crashed onto a lake shore says the lawmaker is nearing the end of his hospital stay.

Jed Link said Sunday that U.S. Rep. Denny Rehberg is expected to travel home to Billings, Mont., in the next few days.

Rehberg was one of five people aboard a boat driven by a state senator that hit the shore of Flathead Lake in western Montana on Thursday. Rehberg underwent ankle surgery and had a fracture around his eye.

Rehberg's state director, Dustin Frost suffered a serious but "survivable" head injury.

·
Premium Member
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Premium Member
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Unhyphenated American
1,938 Posts
Looks like the Driver is going to hide behind his attorney.

http://www.mtstandard.com/articles/2009/08/31/state/hjjajbgijcgjgf.txt

I am not sure if its a cover up, course with the government it probably is! But Barkus would hire an attorney as would anyone who has assets to protect after an accident that may involve him being negligent. Also Todd Glazier, his attorney is a close family friend. I went to school with Ken Barkus/ http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1359168471&ref=sgm

And Todd Galzier/ http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1518895462&ref=sgm
I am sure there is no cover up but it is kind of funny that Todds profile is unavailable at the moment!:D

·
Premium Member
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Don't know much about facebook. Is there anything about the crash in there facebooks?

·
Premium Member
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
More on the boat crash. It's going slow as expected. Read some of the comments people have posted found on the right side of the page linked below. ;)

Iverson said Rehberg remembers much of what led up to the accident, when the party of five was using the boat to get from dinner back to their resort near Bigfork. The crash — which left the boat fully out of the water and perched on the side of a steep rock outcropping — happened shortly after 10 p.m.

"He remembers the boat ride being pretty chilly on the ride back, and visiting with Kathy Barkus, and sort of looking right up before impact and realizing this land was imminent," Iverson said. "He doesn't have a lot of detail after that, expect for people coming to help."

Rehberg's office has said the congressman had some drinks with dinner that night, but point out that his blood alcohol level was well below the legal limit of .08 for a boat operator — and are stressing that Rehberg was not driving. The BAC was tested in the emergency room some time after 1 a.m. Friday.

No such information has been released on Barkus, who could not be reached for comment Monday morning. His attorney, Todd Glazier, did not return a call.

Iverson said Smith, who works in Washington D.C. and is originally from Palos Verdes, Calif., also saw land coming right before impact. She and Kathy Barkus were sitting near Rehberg in the passenger side of the boat hunkered out of the wind. Frost was near the rear of the boat.

"Kristin Smith remembers a woman taking the shirt off her back to hold up to her head, because her head was bleeding," Iverson said.

Iverson said Republican Leader John Boehner and House Speaker Nancy Pelosi have called him, as have Montana's U.S. senators, Max Baucus and Jon Tester.

http://www.flatheadbeacon.com/artic...eleased_from_hospital_after_boat_crash/12732/

·
Premium Member
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I hope all recovers from this. 40 MPH is pretty fast to be hitting the rocks. :mad:

Rehberg Boat Crash

Authorities Test Kalispell Sen. Greg Barkus’ Alcohol Level

By Associated Press , 09-03-09
Authorities say that state Sen. Greg Barkus was driving his boat at 40 miles per hour when it crashed into a rocky cliff on Flathead Lake last week, injuring U.S. Rep. Denny Rehberg and three other passengers.

Flathead County Attorney Ed Corrigan also says he is awaiting results of a test for Barkus's blood-alcohol level from the state crime lab in Missoula. Corrigan has said that he is weighing felony charges in the case.

Most seriously injured was Rehberg state director Dustin Frost, who has a skull fracture and a brain injury. Corrigan says Frost's family remains optimistic that he'll recover.

Rehberg suffered a broken ankle that required surgery.

The boat passengers had been at a dinner on Aug. 27 and were using the boat to get back to their resort on the other side of the lake when they crashed after 10 p.m.

http://www.flatheadbeacon.com/artic...lispell_sen._greg_barkus_alcohol_level/12808/

1 - 20 of 28 Posts