Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody,
I have an 83 eliminator ski boat. Inboard 350 with a velvet drive. Heres my problem. The motor won't trun over 2000rpms while its in the water.
I've disconnected the trottle cable thinking maybe the trottle wasn't opening up the carb all the way (not the case)
If i rev it up on the trailer it goes over 2k
I put 2 new fuel filters on it thinking there may have been a blockage (not the case)
Any body got any ideas????? I'm stuck. Sorry its not a vdrive but you guys are pretty sharp. Thanks

·
Purple headed member
7,646 Posts
Hey everybody,
I have an 83 eliminator ski boat. Inboard 350 with a velvet drive. Heres my problem. The motor won't trun over 2000rpms while its in the water.
I've disconnected the trottle cable thinking maybe the trottle wasn't opening up the carb all the way (not the case)
If i rev it up on the trailer it goes over 2k
I put 2 new fuel filters on it thinking there may have been a blockage (not the case)
Any body got any ideas????? I'm stuck. Sorry its not a vdrive but you guys are pretty sharp. Thanks
So it revs past 2,000 rpms while it's on the trailer but the second you take it off and put it in the water it won't.
It's obviouse to me that the trailer is the problem. Just leave it hooked up to the trailer while it's in the water and enjoy your day on the lake. Easy fix.
Now you know why I'm the sharpest of the bunch.........

·
Banned
3,605 Posts
So it revs past 2,000 rpms while it's on the trailer but the second you take it off and put it in the water it won't.
It's obviouse to me that the trailer is the problem. Just leave it hooked up to the trailer while it's in the water and enjoy your day on the lake. Easy fix.
Now you know why I'm the sharpest of the bunch.........
Sharpest is probably not the word I'd use but quick (as in quickjet) definately suits you. LOL

·
Maxwell Smartass
353 Posts
pull the spark arrestor and with the engine off make sure it is actually opening all the way, and if it's a mechanically operated secondary make sure that all 4 barrels are opening. Then check your timing next.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
My first V-drive did this...400ci small block in a 71 hondo....first time I put it in the water, wouldn't spin past 2500. After trying everything I could think of with what I had at the river, I stopped in town to pick up a timing light...it was 17° AFTER top dead center. I dunno how the thing ran at all, but it sounded OK at idle. Check your timing. You need timing to make power.

·
Bass Lake Dream'n
3,082 Posts
Just because the secondaies are opening does'nt mean they are feeding fuel to the engine. Check that you have gas flowing thru them:)bulb
What prop do you have? Most 1:1 ratio velvet drives could'nt use anything more than a 13x13 3 blade or a 13x11-12 4 blade. That 350 merc would maybe put out 265hp on a good day back in 1983. They are very sesitive to the slightest pitch change. my 2 cents

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah i'm going to have to put a timing light on it. The only reason I haven't yet is because it starts right up and idles fine. I apprieciate everybodies input

·
Hard Core Member
406 Posts
Sounds a fuel supply problem. Verify fuel pressure and check for a pinched line or obstruction back to the tank. Did it just start doing this? Was ok before?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I just bought it and it has been doing this the whole time

The more I think about it why would it tach up over 2 grand on the trailer and not in the water. That makes me think the timing is advancing properly right?

I put 2 new fuel filters on it when I bought it so I don't think that is the issue

·
Banned
3,605 Posts
... The more I think about it why would it tach up over 2 grand on the trailer and not in the water. That makes me think the timing is advancing properly right?...
Because there is no load on it on the trailer. The advance mech. working is not really the onlt timing question here, the question is what is the timing at when it's idling and what is the timing at when it's at 3,500 RPM's while on the trailer?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts