Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is 400 hr a lot for a boat that is well maintained.Looking at a boat that has a merc 500 hp and was woundering if that was too much and when most people rebuild.The boat is spot less and has all service rec.

·
Nuclear Powered
1,281 Posts
Seems like a lot of hours. What year is the boat?

·
Registered
6,120 Posts
I just had a leak down test on my 502 with 400 hours. Chris from Prestige said I have a good motor and many hours left on it...Knock on wood. :D

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
2000 conquest 500hp and new outdrive

·
It is what it is
2,650 Posts
500efi or 500 hp carb.? I've seen a lot of broken 500 efi's. Usually with valve train problems or burnt pistons from bad programming or bad injectors.

Do a valve job on the motor and have the injectors cleaned and flowed. Also don't change the stock Merc program on it.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
500efi or 500 hp carb.? I've seen a lot of broken 500 efi's. Usually with valve train problems or burnt pistons from bad programming or bad injectors.

Do a valve job on the motor and have the injectors cleaned and flowed. Also don't change the stock merc program on it.
efi So with 400 hr and a leak down you would still have a valve job and whats the deal with the merc program

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thats why we post things like this where people like yourself can post your input Thanks Lenny

·
It is what it is
2,650 Posts
efi So with 400 hr and a leak down you would still have a valve job and whats the deal with the merc program
The Merc program seems to work, but then everyone and their brother including AZSM was doing "upgrades" to the stock program. So they are basically messing with the fuel and timing curve to get 20 or 30 more hp that you'll never really notice. Yes, your transom might not be covered in soot, but at least if it's covered in soot, you know it's not running lean. I can give you the names of 4 different people that had 500efi's reprogrammed that their motors died shortly after. It could be coincidence????

I'm just saying, I would want a stock computer.

At 400 hours I would figure a valve job into the price. Put new springs in it.

When your doing the valve job, send the injectors out to be cleaned and flow tested also.

GM also had a TSB on their injectors and recommends running Techroline in their motors. So find a Chevron and run Chevron gas in it.

You should be fine for another couple hundred hours. The bottom end is all good forged stuff.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks again OUTDRIVE,the boat is about 10k under the next conquest but it is a 2000 so If I dont end up liking it I mite be stuck with it.I have cash so Im not worred about getting a loan.This is going to be my first big deck boat ive had a chit load of little boats.Whats your take on Conquest/Lavey/Magic

·
Registered
911 Posts
Its been said that 100hrs on a boat is roughly 25,000mi on a car or truck. Just like any vehicle it will vary depending on the degree of up keep.

·
Registered
373 Posts
The Merc program seems to work, but then everyone and their brother including AZSM was doing "upgrades" to the stock program. So they are basically messing with the fuel and timing curve to get 20 or 30 more hp that you'll never really notice. Yes, your transom might not be covered in soot, but at least if it's covered in soot, you know it's not running lean. I can give you the names of 4 different people that had 500efi's reprogrammed that their motors died shortly after. It could be coincidence????

I'm just saying, I would want a stock computer.

At 400 hours I would figure a valve job into the price. Put new springs in it.

When your doing the valve job, send the injectors out to be cleaned and flow tested also.

GM also had a TSB on their injectors and recommends running Techroline in their motors. So find a Chevron and run Chevron gas in it.

You should be fine for another couple hundred hours. The bottom end is all good forged stuff.
Have you ever put a Air/Fuel gauge on one to see how rich the stock tune is?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts