Performance Boats Forum banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Jerry, it looks like a true flat cause I dont see that 3/8th's piece of aluminum attached to the bottom of the cav plate right in the center. If you look at that Hondo "Big Red" from behind you can see the added on piece. Jerry, I'm sure you have a picture of "Big Red" on the trailer at Ming.

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,176 Posts
I have Sunny's old Security life jacket. It will be in the RESP Auction in Phoenix in November.

·
put up or shut up
379 Posts
:eek:mg: this all looks and sounds too familiar

·
Upstanding Member
12,715 Posts
Jerry, it looks like a true flat cause I dont see that 3/8th's piece of aluminum attached to the bottom of the cav plate right in the center. If you look at that Hondo "Big Red" from behind you can see the added on piece. Jerry, I'm sure you have a picture of "Big Red" on the trailer at Ming.
I've seen them without that plate too.

·
Upstanding Member
12,715 Posts
Bet this boat had rub rail, and when it was removed, the boat wasn't capped very well as it appears there is a crack going all the way around the boat. Hondo capped them better than that.
You had to pay extra to get a capped boat. The uncapped boats have a little glass on the inside and nothing on the outside leaving that seem line visible when the rub rail is removed.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Midwestsrt8, here is the low down on your boat as near as I can tell. I spoke with Bob Morgan this afternoon and this is what he had to say. Back in the day Hondo was giving boats to a few drivers to race during the season. If the boats made it through the season Hondo would take the boats back and give them a new one for the next year. Bob was buying the boats three or four at a time back then and bringing them back to Kansas and selling them. I asked Bob if he rememberd a blown gas flattie called "Black Power" and his reply was that he probably brought the boat back to Kansas but that he could not remember for sure. I said that the boat was black with silver trim and silver darts down the deck and that did not jog his memory either. He told me that he brought back so many that they were all a blur. It seems that Hondo started to make the new boats so light that you could not walk on the deck according to Bob and that is why he started to make trips out California and buying the boats that were turned in because they were beefer according to Bob and easier to sell to his customers. Bob's last reply to me berfore we changed the subject that there was a good chance that he bought and sold the boat but not positive.

I hope this does not discourage you from going forward with your investigation! It sounds like the boat may have passed through Bob's fingers you will just have to keep asking questions.

Good Luck!!!

Mike

·
Premium Member
2,176 Posts
Sounds great. Can you post a pic and auction info?

Sure, I will bring it to work tomorrow. Going to send it off to Security to have it cleaned for the auction.

Auction is Saturday night at Firebird Raceway during the Lucas Oil World Finals. The race dates are November 17, 18, & 19th.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Black Power

I think you have the wrong boat.

I'm gonna hold off posting the Black Power video...
I know without a doubt this is the original Black Power boat. Bob Morgan brought the boat back from California and it was bought by my neighbor Frank Vonderwall. It was originaly Black with silver mettal flake trim. Frank ran un blown fuel in it. After racing it here in the midwest, he made the mistake of repainting it. It was supposed to have been a pearl black but the pictures in it's current condition is how it came out. I've had the boat in Texas doing the plumbing as well as other things to use it on the lake. The boat had been in storage for over 20 years until my brother Terry bought it.

This not a scam, this is the truth.

Thanks for all the postings of the original condition of Black Power. We are planning on re doing the boat and putting it into the original condition except for it will have a filled seam.

John Conway

·
put up or shut up
379 Posts
Funny how things work around here.....I bought this boat and is now back in Missouri, planning on taking the paint off to see what it will tell us. It will be cool to see it in the shop sitting next too Panic Mouse!!!! I crawled under it yesterday and also has 007 stamped the the strut as well

·
Registered
234 Posts
Oh Shit.....there goes the neighborhood.....Round 2 has begun.

Funny how things work around here.....I bought this boat and is now back in Missouri, planning on taking the paint off to see what it will tell us. It will be cool to see it in the shop sitting next too Panic Mouse!!!! I crawled under it yesterday and also has 007 stamped the the strut as well

·
Registered
134 Posts
black power #4

Didn't you mention yours was a t-deck. That might be the mysterious 4th boat.
p.s. Might know where another one of those 007 struts is.:hmmm:

Pictures.jpg

·
Registered
1 Posts
Black Power

I know without a doubt this is the original Black Power boat. Bob Morgan brought the boat back from California and it was bought by my neighbor Frank Vonderwall. It was originaly Black with silver mettal flake trim. Frank ran un blown fuel in it. After racing it here in the midwest, he made the mistake of repainting it. It was supposed to have been a pearl black but the pictures in it's current condition is how it came out. I've had the boat in Texas doing the plumbing as well as other things to use it on the lake. The boat had been in storage for over 20 years until my brother Terry bought it.

This not a scam, this is the truth.

Thanks for all the postings of the original condition of Black Power. We are planning on re doing the boat and putting it into the original condition except for it will have a filled seam.

John Conway
John! My name is Doug Ballance and Sonny and I first started our partnership with Black Power. We were two white kids from Reno, Nevada. Sonny bought our first Hindi from Irv Brendell. Bob watts was a friend of mine and a friend of Irv and negotiated the purchase. I had a 454 in a 1955 Chevy and rebuilt it to a 468 blown gas engine with Mondello heads, Hank the Crank crankshaft, Venolia pistons, aluminum rods, Hilborn 4 port Injectors and Sig Erson camshaft. It was 1967 and one year later I up sized the engine up to 482. We ran ok but Sonny crashed the first boat in late 1960’s. Irv gave us a new boat and I refreshed the engine and took it to Hondo’s shop and put the engine in and wired the boat in Irvs shop. Sonny was out of the hospital and tried to drive the boat at Long Beach on Saturday just 2 week after the crash, he was a real tough guy but very nice. We went on to set the APBA Blown Gas Flatbottom record at Lake Turlock in 1971. That year we won every NDBA race except the Nationals at Long Beach and won the high points championship. The first Black Power crashed and the only other one was the second one and Irv turned the second one over and ground a 1/2 inch air trap on both sides of the keel by hand they went from the stern to the area of the bottom that rolls up to the bow. He sprayed the he bottom with supper glide at that time. The boat without much engine tuning went from 121 mph with the old boat to 128 at the second race then on to 130 mph record and finely to 133 by the time in 1973 that I had personal family issues and gave Sonny my engine and interest in the boat. He ran it for a year or so before he started driving for Clive Hughes. I started at Johnson Chevrolet in 1963 and Sonny started in 1966 when the dealership sold to Hallman Chevrolet. I had known Sonny since High School days and we’re friends and partners for many years. I last was with Sonny on Sunday the week he passed. Sonny a really nice man and was one of three of my best friends. Mark Yuill and Rob Johnson are the other real friends and they would come to the races with Sonny and I. My big brother Irv Ballance came also and I owe my knowledge about engines and cars to him. So if the boat you have does not have 1/2 inch air traps in the bottom then you don’t have the Black Power Hondo.
thanks for still being interested in Sonny Jones and Black Power.

Doug Ballance

41 - 55 of 55 Posts