Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
6th Street Mafia
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys I have an issue with my boat that I need to figure out and I was hoping someone in here can help out. Sorry for posting a question about a non jet boat in here but it seemed like this forum has more problem solvers in it.
Here goes:
I have a 1999 23' Commander Open bow with almost 600 hours on it and it has been a great boat. A few years ago we started noticing the boat would sit lower in the water on the right side. At first we figured that it was just how the boat was loaded or that there might be more gas in the right tank than the left. Over the past few years my brother and I have eliminated the easy things that it might have been. (I think) Here is a run down of the things we have already tried. First we took everything out of the boat, coolers, anchors, rope, water skiis, sub boxes (for the stereo). Next we drained the gas tanks completely, Then we even removed the batteries and the battery boxes since they are both located on the right side of the boat. Nothing we did made any difference. I am stumped and now I am wondering if it may be something up the floor like wrought lumber (don't know if that could make the boat wieght more on one side) or maybe even the motor shifted over to the right side. Any suggestions would be appreciated, I am hoping to have a little direction when I start digging this time and as of this momment I have non.

Chris

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Id find a spot on the floor under a seat preferably and cut a 4 inch hole in it and hope that you don't find water or wet wood or?

Good luck.

·
Glendale Arizona
2,368 Posts
Id find a spot on the floor under a seat preferably and cut a 4 inch hole in it and hope that you don't find water or wet wood or?

Good luck.
Hate to say it, but I would agree. What else could it be? You've eliminated pretty much everything else. Wet soggy foam under flooring and in bulkheads seems to be pretty common in the jetboat community. Don't know if they used it in the bigger boats or not.

Did you fire the new jetboat motor yet Chris?

·
6th Street Mafia
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:)bulb Is there any foam under the floor?It could be a little imbalanced......

I am not sure if there is foam or not under the floor, if it was due to the foam being imbalanced wouldn't that have showed from the boat being new. I thought the foam was stuck in place.

·
6th Street Mafia
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I fired it and it runs great, Steve at Westech tuned it and she put out 600 HP at 5800 RPM. I got it out twice last year but the river trips have been few and far between due to the fact that I just had my first little one and I have a second due here any day. I am hoping to take a few trips later in the season. Your boat looks great, you did an amazing job putting it together.

·
6th Street Mafia
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cutting a hole in the floor was my next step but before I took a hole saw to my boat I wanted to get your guys opinions.

·
6th Street Mafia
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The only thing that was stopping me was that the boat sat for 8 Months in the garage and did not see any water during that time. When we put it in the water last weekend it immediately leaned to the right. Would it still be heavier even though it was dry?

Chris

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
The only thing that was stopping me was that the boat sat for 8 Months in the garage and did not see any water during that time. When we put it in the water last weekend it immediately leaned to the right. Would it still be heavier even though it was dry?

Chris
Depends how the water got in. If the water can't get out it will stay wet for a long time.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
I would not think that a 99' model boat would see any type of wood rot, but with 600 hours on it, and if it was ever keep outside, it could of rotted or at least got water accumulated in the sub-floor. I agree, find a spot under a seat or something and take a peek.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
My upstairs neighbors washing machine flooded and when the guy came to repair my place he had this big BBQ fork looking thing. He would poke the wall and it would beep if there was moisture. I'd try to get a hold of one of those things before cutting big ole holes in the floor if you can. If it has done it since new then I dont know what else it could be. Also its a 99, call up commander and see if they even use foam.

·
Registered
5,717 Posts
How about a pic of what you are dealing with?...this would give an idea on how or where the problem could be, this could also be a problem with the wood in the seat framing that has taken on water and holding it in the framework, Any pics on how far the boat leans on the water? is there a floor all the way back beside the motor, or is it an exposed stringer? there are quite a bit of solutions, but a pic would rule out majority of these solutions.

·
Wishin I was at Pine Flat
138 Posts
You can add weight to the other side a little at a time to determine how much is causing the list. Then you can calculate the weight of water in gallons to find out how much water is causing it. Your boat HAS water in it somewhere making it lean.
Water weighs 8.34 lbs per gallon, and if it takes 33 pounds to level the boat, then you are hiding 4 gallons of water somewhere under the floor on the leaning side.

Just an idea.

·
Registered
5,717 Posts
sounds like an Engineers angle.......

Id put my efforts in pulling seats and working on the solution rather calculations of just how much weight ive taken on in the boat, regardless, the problem has to be figured out. think about how much wasted payload you have paid in fuel charges, in a jetboat this is enough to make you wanna put the boat on a diet! lol

·
Registered
5,838 Posts
Id put my efforts in pulling seats and working on the solution rather calculations of just how much weight ive taken on in the boat, regardless, the problem has to be figured out. think about how much wasted payload you have paid in fuel charges, in a jetboat this is enough to make you wanna put the boat on a diet! lol
:D
Agreed. Damn engineers make things too complicated.

·
6th Street Mafia
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for all the help, the boat stays in the garage in Havasu so I can't get pictures right away. I should be going up there in a few weeks to bring the boat home and I'll post some pics then.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts