Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just Heard Sal Sunk His Southwind In The Lagoon At Aha And Is In The Hospital. Anybody There Seen Or Heard If He's Ok?:(

·
B.A.M aka "Black Azz Mike
2,925 Posts
I hope he is doing ok............

·
Registered
332 Posts
We are here at Aha. Yes he did sink the boat. Did not see it. Saw the boat get pulled out at the ramp. The entire left side fiberglass from the steering wheel back to the transom was missing. We heard that he was taken to OC or LA because of fiberglass in his foot possibly his tendons. We also were told that his foot was the major injury. His injury is purely hear say from people on the beach. Please do not take it as fact. Hope all is well.

2,056 Posts
We are here at Aha. Yes he did sink the boat. Did not see it. Saw the boat get pulled out at the ramp. The entire left side fiberglass from the steering wheel back to the transom was missing. We heard that he was taken to OC or LA because of fiberglass in his foot possibly his tendons. We also were told that his foot was the major injury. His injury is purely hear say from people on the beach. Please do not take it as fact. Hope all is well.
:( Bad news. Best wishes and I hope he is doing alright.

·
Half a bubble off
2,467 Posts
Crap! While we're not churchgoers, Jan and my thoughts and prayers are with him and his family...john

Hope it all works out as best as possible. I'm not of the ambulance chasing mentaly (sp?) but I would love to see a thread of what has happened to make sure the rest of the hotboat community doesnt have it happen to them. Sort of a learn by others kind of dealio.... maybe this is the wrong place for this, my apologies to family and friends...hope things look better in the morning........john

·
6TH STREET MAFIA PRES.
1,493 Posts
MAFIA not it !!!!!!!!!!!

HOPE all is well. Hope the popo doesnt ruin your weekend.;)

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
Info

Crap! While we're not churchgoers, Jan and my thoughts and prayers are with him and his family...john

Hope it all works out as best as possible. I'm not of the ambulance chasing mentaly (sp?) but I would love to see a thread of what has happened to make sure the rest of the hotboat community doesnt have it happen to them. Sort of a learn by others kind of dealio.... maybe this is the wrong place for this, my apologies to family and friends...hope things look better in the morning........john
Any info we can gain in the area of safety that prevents mishaps is always a good idea. While we sincerely hope it all works out for anyone injured in a boating accident, we are also curious as to what happened, and even
more so, why it happened. Equipment failure is a scary thing, especially since we all run pretty much the same set ups on jet boats........

Here is to a speedy recovery, and I hope the boat can be repaired as well...MP

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Just Heard Sal Sunk His Southwind In The Lagoon At Aha And Is In The Hospital. Anybody There Seen Or Heard If He's Ok?:(

My thoughts and prayers to him. Even worse than being in the hospital is being there on a holiday weekend. I spent thanksgiving in Brawly memorial with my brother one year. I hope sal got to see fireworks from the window of the hospital. What was Sals screen name on here?

·
655 Posts
I talked to someone in the lagoon yesterday, and this is also hearsay, they said he was on a pass and blew the tail & spun. Hope he's O.K

·
BB572
227 Posts
Sal is OK. A lot of fiberglass in the foot has been removed. 25 Staples. But all is ok. A little banged up, but doing well. He is back at the river with keg in hand. Boat is destroyed. The hull just gave way. Thanks for the concern and the well wishes. :)

Lori Snavely (Sal's Cousin)

·
Premium Member
4,194 Posts
Sal is OK. A lot of fiberglass in the foot has been removed. 25 Staples. But all is ok. A little banged up, but doing well. He is back at the river with keg in hand. Boat is destroyed. The hull just gave way. Thanks for the concern and the well wishes. :)

glad to hear he is doing ok, get well soon...:)

·
In INTERNET REHAB
1,113 Posts
Sal is OK. A lot of fiberglass in the foot has been removed. 25 Staples. But all is ok. A little banged up, but doing well. He is back at the river with keg in hand. Boat is destroyed. The hull just gave way. :)

Don't know Sal but I hope he makes a speedy recovery. The boat was destroyed and the hull just gave away? Did he spin out into something or what? That sounds nasty.

·
Registered
319 Posts
loader fail?

anybody look to see if the loader might have failed or broke? unusaul for a boat to just spin or break on a regular pass but not unusual if the loader breaks. just wondering.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Best wishes to Sal for a rapid recovery.

When they say the hull just came apart... they aren't joking. kind of amazing to see in person.

Attachments

·
Registered
911 Posts
Yup. Its not great. Taken by a friend with a phone. You can see the left side is gone.

·
Seriously off center
2,439 Posts
From what I can see from the pic, it looks the bottom tore along a strake. I remember a couple people finding cracks in the hulls along the strakes.

·
Glendale Arizona
2,368 Posts
From what I can see from the pic, it looks the bottom tore along a strake. I remember a couple people finding cracks in the hulls along the strakes.
Dan Froelich (Dan Hercules) and myself both had cracks along that same strake. His was a Southwind and mine was a Kachina (same hull basically). At least one other guy had the same problem and all three happened the same summer. I can't remember the third guy's name now.

I stripped mine, flipped it over and pretty much re-constucted the bottom before it got too bad. Not sure what Dan Hercules did with his.

The day it was discovered on mine I had just put it on the trailer after making several 80+ mph pass.

I suggested it then, and do it again. Keep a close eye on the old Southwind 18s and their splashes.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts