Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Aquacraft
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of these years im going to make the trip to Arizona and im just wondering which lakes are better for v-drives or boating in general? im coming from Texas so the farthest east lakes in Arizona is what im looking for,,,I was looking at either canyon lake or Theadore Roosevelt or if there's another lake closer to southwest New mexico? Roosevelt is about 5.5 hrs away and canyon lake is 6.5 hrs away unless theres a closer one im not sure, anyways any input is appreciated,,,,Iv never gone boating in arizona so just trying to get a good idea,,,,thanks..

·
Village Idiot
3,586 Posts
Canyon is a fun lake. I don’t go there often as lake pleasant is 20 mini from my house. There are some lakes closer to you but they are higher elevation so the boat won’t perform as well. The extra drive time to Parker could be cool if an event was going on. You would love meeting the people from the boards. Friends of ours used to always do trips to Apache as it I does not get as many crazy people on it. I am not sure if I would do Roosevelt

·
Registered
37 Posts
I spend a lot of time at Apache and Roosevelt. Apache is nice,water is cool and the boat runs a little cooler. Roosevelt is big, the Tonto end of the lake can get packed like this weekend. I don’t attempt either on the holidays. Both lakes sit around 2800’-3100’ in elevation.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Apache and Canyon lake ONLY! By far the best scenery and they are deep for V-drives. If you stay the night or camp go in to Burnt Corral at Apache. Canyon is the best for day trips but we always come from Phoenix not the east. Roosevelt is big and wide open.

Elephant Butte in NM is big also but still way down and drains everyday. The water line is constantly going down. Apache, Canyon and Saguaro are damed at both ends and stay the same water level (usually) but fluctuate throughout the day for power generation.

God forgot to landscape Lake Pleasant.. We never go. If we go west it's to Parker. Our house is in north central Phoenix and canyon is the quickest next to Pleasant. Bartlett is actually a farther drive.

Hope that helps you figure it out a little more.

·
Aquacraft
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow thank you all for the info!!! I’d love to meet you guys whenever I make it out to one of the lakes , I was in Arizona for medical reasons and a friend of mine took me to canyon lake just to see it and it was beautiful and I said one of these days I wanted to go but man the road we went on was steep as hell not sure if there’s multiple ways in or not , I was also looking at Apache and. Saguaro but wasn’t sure which of these would be better thank you kurtiss500 and others for the info and any shortcuts or best places to go ( burnt corral , deep water info) with a vdrive info type of stuff this is what I was looking for thank you all!! I go to ellephant butte ( not a lot) but it’s drying up and thought maybe I should try Arizona.

·
Aquacraft
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Which is better for boating canyon lake or Apache lake ? And is burnt corral a good place on the lake for boating or just camping ? Iv narrowed it down to those 2 I guess or are they about the same ? I’m not sure if I’ll take all the camping gear or not since it’s like a 6-7 hour drive I might find a hotel somewhere but I’m not sure thanks for any help 👍

·
Registered
37 Posts
Apache is about 45 mins from Globe. There is hotels in Globe. (New ones). Apache has a long dirt road with a lot of turns that are narrow. I suggest a good cover for your boat. You can’t access Apache from the Phoenix side anymore. So you have to come from the Globe side or Tonto Basin side.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Roosevelt lake is about 2000' so the rest downstream are lower progressively...Apache is prettiest, Canyon is cool but "see above". We go to Havasu mostly but have stuck it to the bottom a couple times where the river proper flows in.

·
Registered
697 Posts
If you went to Canyon lake you only saw one end of the lake. Its about 7 miles long and tall canyons the entire way up while you're boating. The dam at the top is Horse Mesa dam that holds up Apache, so Apache is above Canyon. Apache is 17 miles long or so. A lot longer and wider than Canyon. They are both deep and you wont hit anything in a V-drive unless try to.

If you're going for a day trip and coming from the Phoenix/Apache Junction side then Canyon for sure. If you are coming from the east Globe/Payson then Id go to Apache. If you wanted easy then Roosevelt. You have a dirt road from the Roosevelt dam to 3 Mile wash (3 miles from the dam) and 6 miles to Burnt Corral but it's worth it. By far.. If you've never been you will probably be shocked when you start down the dirt part of the apache trail. Its not paved and you need to take it easy. I haul a 5th wheel and the V-drives in there no problem, just be careful. I basically boat in 3 V-drive friendly places, Canyon, Apache and Parker.

The Apache Lake marina has a hotel and etc. You can stay there, eat, launch and everything else really. The drive from the marina out to Burnt Corral is another 6 miles or 20 minutes... How do I know? When I was a kid my dad used to pull the truck over at the marina turn off and get a beer out of the ice chest. Hed get back in the truck then open the beer and say "20 minutes to Burnt Corral".. haha.. Ive timed it, he is right.

Unless you take an RV or camping gear to Canyon Lake there is no place to stay. Heres the link to the Apache Lake site. Apache Lake Home - Apache Lake

·
Aquacraft
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you kurtiss500!! That’s the info I was looking for ! Very much appreciated and I’m coming from the east so I guess it’s Apache , very cool story about your dad 👍 and thank you for the Apache lake home link 👍

·
Registered
697 Posts
Thank you kurtiss500!! That’s the info I was looking for ! Very much appreciated and I’m coming from the east so I guess it’s Apache , very cool story about your dad 👍 and thank you for the Apache lake home link 👍
Here ya go. Its somebodys drone video from Apache so not really a generic video (didnt watch it all). Starts at Roosevelt dam heading in. Burnt Corral is the campground at the beginning. I forgot its paved.

And heres Canyon Lake (again, someones video, didnt watch it all)

Cant loose either way.. Have fun!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just spent 5 days at burnt corral campground on Apache lake. I drove down from Idaho. I will do it again. It was beautiful. Well worth the trip. I have family in Phoenix. There is gas close also at Roosevelt. Saw to nice flat bottoms in the parking lot.

Sent from my moto g power (XT2041DL) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
697 Posts
I just spent 5 days at burnt corral campground on Apache lake. I drove down from Idaho. I will do it again. It was beautiful. Well worth the trip. I have family in Phoenix. There is gas close also at Roosevelt. Saw to nice flat bottoms in the parking lot.

Sent from my moto g power (XT2041DL) using Tapatalk
Nice! Where at in Idaho? Im in Park City, almost as far

1 - 15 of 15 Posts