Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
steelcomp was here
26,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Some of you have seen me post from time to time about a Bonneville project. Well, I'm reporting from the salt that we qualified the car for the long course with a speed of 240+ right off the trailer...in 2.25 mi. The car performed flawlessly except for a parachute malfunction. Not to worry though...even though there was a back up chute, Seth decided to give the carbon fiber brakes a test, and we're glad he did. They revealed a few issues that we'll address tomorrow, and then it's off to the long course to qualify. Hopefully we'll be heading for impound before noon. :D
The car is running a N/A 565" BB Chev, EFI. It's set up for nitrous, but we aren't going to run any this meet. We're running AA gas lakester, no. 77 for anyone following.

Here's a few pics of the morning.
We're on the salt before 7 AM.

Heading to the track on a stellar morning.

In the pits getting ready to head for the starting line.

At the starting line waiting for our turn, getting ready to roll the car off the track, onto the salt for the first time.

Lee Gustufson looking over his handywork. Lee's the engine builder.

This is what it looks like going down the course...sans the traffic. The course is prestine this year.

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,075 Posts
Thanks...

What do you think the car will run on the long course ?

Good luck .

Sleeper CP :D

·
steelcomp was here
26,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
More pics...

Unloading the car...

Off the trailer finally, and going to the line for the first run.

And here it is making it's first run. Not very exciting to look at, but it's definitely exciting to be there finally, and seeing it run. Interestingly enough, it was one year ago today that I started working on the project.

http://www.performanceboats.com/gallery/data/500/medium/0343.JPG{/IMG]

Here's a few pics from the trip to Utah, to get a bertter idea of the car and trailer.

The rig...

[IMG]http://www.performanceboats.com/gallery/data/500/medium/0171.JPG

The car...

The traler has four wheel independant air ride suspension. We designed and built the trailer, and the flat bed for the truck as well as the car itself...all in house, from scratch.

·
steelcomp was here
26,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks...

What do you think the car will run on the long course ?

Good luck .

Hey Jon...sory I never got any pics sooner to you...just got very busy the last few days.

If everything goes well, the car should break 300 with little trouble, on a 271 record. We have 5 cars in the class this year, with over 440 pre-registered entries this year. It's a freekin zoo here!

Thanks for the good luck. So far, so good.

·
Banned
1,263 Posts
Looks awesome Scott, thanks for the pics!!

Good Luck, Keep us posted! :D
Ditto from me.

Something us East Coasters really like to see from good pics since ever getting there in person is near impossible.

Is there a website for your team that we can see and read more ? I, for one, can never get enough of this and other stuff.

·
Administrator
16,877 Posts
One of my do before I die items.

Go to Bonneville.

·
@ The Islander
4,182 Posts
My brothers out there right working as a course official for a couple of hours a day & hanging with buddies the rest of the time.

Congrats!

·
steelcomp was here
26,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here's a few more pics in the shop of getting the last details pulled together and getting the body panels on. The devil IS in the details!:)st

Trans is an air shifted Liberty 5 spd.

·
Premium Member
2,145 Posts
Cool stuff guys! Good luck and be safe out there.

Since we are talking Bonneville, please be on the lookout for Dusty Schallers Dynojet sponsored Honda CBR600RR turbo bike that was STOLEN from the Dynojet facility Saturday morning, just hours after being completed and tuned to run down the 191mph record for a 600cc motorcycle. This is where I work, and have helped Dusty with the bike and there is no worse feeling than not being able to return to the salt after a year of preparation and anticipation.

Here are a few pics and specs of the bike:

Dynojet’s project turbo bike for Bonneville was stolen Saturday morning, yes the day before Bonneville is starting! I would appreciate if everyone would keep their ears open about this bike. This bike is pretty much useless to anyone trying to ride it on the street or even parting it out as everything was custom built. I have attached a few pics and a list of some of the things that would stand out. Any information would be very much appreciated.

2004 Honda CBR600RR – serial #JH2DC37014M100031

IHI turbo with tial 38mm wastegate
Dump pipe for turbo was custom made
AMS 500 boost controller
CP custom pistons
Carillo rods
BST carbon fiber wheels
Hand made dog bones
Catalyst bodywork that is a one off set. Mix between 600 & 1000 bodywork
Racetech suspension that lowered the bike
Bike had a water to air intercooler so under the seat was a large aluminum tank.
Fuel tank was custom aluminum
Aluminum intake plenum
One off rearsets

Attachments

·
Highaboosta
3,431 Posts
Looks like a lot of real nice workmanship on the car.
I see a scoop on the top of the car.
Considering that speed is it possible to build any positive pressure in the intake manifold ?
Would experimenting with different size scoop openings have any merit ?

·
steelcomp was here
26,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Looks like a lot of real nice workmanship on the car.
I see a scoop on the top of the car.
Considering that speed is it possible to build any positive pressure in the intake manifold ?
Would experimenting with different size scoop openings have any merit ?
The aerodynamics of the car have been carefully thought out, and the scoop is no exception.

·
steelcomp was here
26,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the compliments guys. Well, we did it...second run off the trailer and we broke the existing record which qualifies us for a record return run tomorrow morning. We ran a 276.98 mph on a 271 mph record. It was a long day as we didn't get our replacement brake parts untill after 1:00 today, so we didn't get our run in untill after 4:00. On top of that, there are three other cars in our class that also qualified for the same record, so tomorrow should be interesting. :|err We leave for the salt at 0500.:)devil

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,075 Posts
Good job. You said earlier that the salt was in great shape, has it held up ?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts