Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Have a member...
34 Posts
sounds like a broken record....

but Bloody Marys is awesome. I don't even like fish, but would have eaten there every night. The owner is American and pretty cool....at least that was the case 7 years ago. I envy you:D

· Registered
847 Posts
Guess I will be missing you at the airport, just realized we are heading over to Bora Bora on Sunday July 26 for 8 days. I thought we were leaving on the 27th.

This is what my soon to be wife (getting hitched Friday) has found on the internet:
  • Don't forget to bring enough sunscreen.
  • Doesn't hurt to buy some booze at LAX Duty Free...and make your own drinks! Liqour is very expensive there!
  • Don't overpack! Gather all the clothes you plan to bring....set aside half of them... and leave them at home.
  • Bring an adaptor to charge your electronics.
  • Don't forget your camera.....your camera battery charger... and maybe a camera chip and an extra battery....just in case. You DO NOT want to miss out on the photo opportunities!
  • Bring your sense of humor. Leave your attitude at home. Remember to let go, slow down, relax, and learn to live on island time. No need to rush and hurry and stress about anything.
  • Bloody Mary's for drinks (dinner is not as good as soem say) and renting bicycles and riding around the island!
  • If you're looking to save some money, do go to the Tiara Market for cheap and delicious cheeses, wines, breadsticks and pretty much everything in between.
  • Bug spray (or just get some there)
  • The shark/ray feeding tour is a MUST!
  • Go to eat at Kaina Hut in Bora Bora--better than Bloody Mary's. Try the breadfruit gnocci.
  • For sure do the shark/stingray excursion in Bora Bora.
  • If you don't have breakfast included at your hotel, order a la carte--the buffets are super expensive and it's cheaper to pay for what you eat (pancakes, toast etc.).
  • Skip the Polynesian shows at hotels--we did one and it cost about $300 and the show was not a real show and the food nothing special. Tiki Village is having problems filling seats, so ask for a discount (we got one). The economy has hit French Polynesia and tourism in general is down. We also got a discount at Helene Spa at the Intercontinental Moorea which is a great spa.
Comment about tipping:
Historically, tipping has been contrary to the Tahitian custom of hospitality. While tipping is still not a common practice, it is beginning to be seen in some restaurants and hotels on the larger islands of Moorea, Bora Bora, and Tahiti. Still, there are no hidden service charges, prices quoted on menus, hotels, or shops are all inclusive, and you need not tip.

My personal rule when traveling is if you experience serivce from someone that is above and beyond your expectations you should tip. For example, we had an amazing private tour while on Bora Bora and the tour guide and felt it appropriate to tip the guide. However, in most cases you do not have to tip.

· Registered
232 Posts
We went to Moorea and LOVED it, best vacation I have ever had. The only thing I would do different is bring a few bottles of booze. I couldnt find captain Morgans anywhere, all the wine was french Bordoux which I dont know a lot about and wasnt willing to gamble at $100 a bottle. I also drink Vodka Soda but they didnt even know what Soda water was. I later found out I should have asked for perrier being a french country and all.

· The Insurance Guy
1,920 Posts
Bora Bora is great but I found it to be the most touristy of all the Tahitian islands and prices on everything were noticibly higher. Personally, Moorea was my favorite, but if I was to return I would probably spend 2 days on Bora Bora and the rest in Moorea. If you are in to scuba, Bora Bora was the best dive we had the whole trip. If you're up for it, dive with the lemon sharks...it is insane and they were bigger than me. As far as the tipping goes, don't waste your money...everybody was really confused when i would tip them there. Oh, and stop into a store and pick up some Tahiti Drink....that stuff is AWESOME!

· Registered
2,801 Posts
Bora Bora is great but I found it to be the most touristy of all the Tahitian islands and prices on everything were noticibly higher. Personally, Moorea was my favorite, but if I was to return I would probably spend 2 days on Bora Bora and the rest in Moorea. If you are in to scuba, Bora Bora was the best dive we had the whole trip. If you're up for it, dive with the lemon sharks...it is insane and they were bigger than me. As far as the tipping goes, don't waste your money...everybody was really confused when i would tip them there. Oh, and stop into a store and pick up some Tahiti Drink....that stuff is AWESOME!

Same here. And the creme de coconut. Yum!

· Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Guess I will be missing you at the airport, just realized we are heading over to Bora Bora on Sunday July 26 for 8 days. I thought we were leaving on the 27th.

This is what my soon to be wife (getting hitched Friday) has found on the internet:
  • Don't forget to bring enough sunscreen.
  • Doesn't hurt to buy some booze at LAX Duty Free...and make your own drinks! Liqour is very expensive there!
  • Don't overpack! Gather all the clothes you plan to bring....set aside half of them... and leave them at home.
  • Bring an adaptor to charge your electronics.
  • Don't forget your camera.....your camera battery charger... and maybe a camera chip and an extra battery....just in case. You DO NOT want to miss out on the photo opportunities!
  • Bring your sense of humor. Leave your attitude at home. Remember to let go, slow down, relax, and learn to live on island time. No need to rush and hurry and stress about anything.
  • Bloody Mary's for drinks (dinner is not as good as soem say) and renting bicycles and riding around the island!
  • If you're looking to save some money, do go to the Tiara Market for cheap and delicious cheeses, wines, breadsticks and pretty much everything in between.
  • Bug spray (or just get some there)
  • The shark/ray feeding tour is a MUST!
  • Go to eat at Kaina Hut in Bora Bora--better than Bloody Mary's. Try the breadfruit gnocci.
  • For sure do the shark/stingray excursion in Bora Bora.
  • If you don't have breakfast included at your hotel, order a la carte--the buffets are super expensive and it's cheaper to pay for what you eat (pancakes, toast etc.).
  • Skip the Polynesian shows at hotels--we did one and it cost about $300 and the show was not a real show and the food nothing special. Tiki Village is having problems filling seats, so ask for a discount (we got one). The economy has hit French Polynesia and tourism in general is down. We also got a discount at Helene Spa at the Intercontinental Moorea which is a great spa.
Comment about tipping:
Historically, tipping has been contrary to the Tahitian custom of hospitality. While tipping is still not a common practice, it is beginning to be seen in some restaurants and hotels on the larger islands of Moorea, Bora Bora, and Tahiti. Still, there are no hidden service charges, prices quoted on menus, hotels, or shops are all inclusive, and you need not tip.

My personal rule when traveling is if you experience serivce from someone that is above and beyond your expectations you should tip. For example, we had an amazing private tour while on Bora Bora and the tour guide and felt it appropriate to tip the guide. However, in most cases you do not have to tip.
Congratulations man thanks for the info maybe we will run in to you guys on the island.

· Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I had some of that Tahiti Drink when we went to Moorea 10-years ago. Good strong rum drink.

· Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
We went to Moorea and LOVED it, best vacation I have ever had. The only thing I would do different is bring a few bottles of booze. I couldnt find captain Morgans anywhere, all the wine was french Bordoux which I dont know a lot about and wasnt willing to gamble at $100 a bottle. I also drink Vodka Soda but they didnt even know what Soda water was. I later found out I should have asked for perrier being a french country and all.
We are not messing around with the alcohol situation taking 2-big bottles of good Vodka and 2-bottles of Sailor Jerry’s Navy Rum:D

· Seriously off center
2,379 Posts
We took 2 1.75l bottles of Crown Royal to Moorea (you can take up to 2l each), and instantly had a bunch of new best friends :D. We were told the going rate for Crown was $175 per bottle (if it could be found). I haven't been to Bora Bora, but was told it was more commercial than Moorea. I'm headed for the outlying motus next.

· Registered
80 Posts
went about 7 years ago and it was awesome.

bloody mary's just because everybody says you have to.

we rented a couple lake lice and ran it wide open in the ocean and the guide brought us to an island, cracked a coconut for us and enjoyed our time :)

bring booze for sure

one thing i learned.....
i enjoyed the local beer- Hinano.... tip the waitress that is bringing them to ya, after a round or two we ended up getting 2 for 1's, then 3 for 1's etc. we found the staff is very nice and tips went a long way.

enjoy.

we stayed at bora bora le meridien

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.