Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
BLP makes a needle and seat that only discharges from the bottom, and they claim that prevents aeration of the fuel in the bowl. The idea is that fuel enters below the liquid line, not splashed over it (at least, that's the way I understand it).

Their website shows a modified carb with windows cut in the bowls, and on one bowl using their needle and seat the fuel is clear, while the other bowl with the standard needle and seat the fuel looks all cloudy, presumably aerated.

If you have experience and/or KNOWLEDGE of how these bottom feeders work, please share your thoughts!!!

·
Lurker
1,417 Posts
BLP makes a needle and seat that only discharges from the bottom, and they claim that prevents aeration of the fuel in the bowl. The idea is that fuel enters below the liquid line, not splashed over it (at least, that's the way I understand it).

Their website shows a modified carb with windows cut in the bowls, and on one bowl using their needle and seat the fuel is clear, while the other bowl with the standard needle and seat the fuel looks all cloudy, presumably aerated.

If you have experience and/or KNOWLEDGE of how these bottom feeders work, please share your thoughts!!!
They work VERY well! ;)

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
it's not a needle and seat, it's a re-designed BOWL. And they are bank!! Nice but not cheap. Bill unless you are haveing a problem controlling you fuel flow thru the carbs,find somewhere else to spend a small fortune that will really help. You seem fixated on float and bowls for some reason. Triple throw down chromed out float bowls with notched floats and jet extentions aren't going to help you much! Maybe try a MSD:D

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Lurker
1,417 Posts
Down flow seats

Yes, the new "Down Flow" needle and seat assy. will fit in all older center hung bowls. They do a great job of reducing fuel foaming and aeriation in the bowls. This helps to stabilize the "useful" level of fuel in the bowl. Going to a larger needle and seats helps to calm this down also (.110 vs. 128) and neither require changing of the fuel pressure. ;)

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Yes, the new "Down Flow" needle and seat assy. will fit in all older center hung bowls. They do a great job of reducing fuel foaming and aeriation in the bowls. This helps to stabilize the "useful" level of fuel in the bowl. Going to a larger needle and seats helps to calm this down also (.110 vs. 128) and neither require changing of the fuel pressure. ;)
i'm a little confused!...r u saying a .110 n&s is bigger than a .128 n&s?...also...can u chng the n&s to a larger sz in a DP & stabilize/calm the fuel in the bowl?

FastRat

·
Lurker
1,417 Posts
i'm a little confused!...r u saying a .110 n&s is bigger than a .128 n&s?...also...can u chng the n&s to a larger sz in a DP & stabilize/calm the fuel in the bowl?

FastRat
I confuse myself allot at times, especialy when trying to explain my thoughts to someone else!! :)sphss

I meant going to a .128 from a .110 helps to control incoming fuel also, even with a standard design. But if you go to the .128 down flow's from a .110 standard there is a big reduction in foaming/aeriation thus increasing the quality of the fuel in the bowl as the main jets see it.

·
Lurker
1,417 Posts
Oops, my mistake. I thought he was referring to Braswells "CHUTE" bowls, which take the concept one step further for those with really deep pockets:D
Dave is the Shiat, and he was all we ever used until the Holley situation developed.
His "spread bore" 4150 type carb is a VERY nice piece, I wish we could use them!

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
I confuse myself allot at times, especialy when trying to explain my thoughts to someone else!! :)sphss

I meant going to a .128 from a .110 helps to control incoming fuel also, even with a standard design. But if you go to the .128 down flow's from a .110 standard there is a big reduction in foaming/aeriation thus increasing the quality of the fuel in the bowl as the main jets see it.
okkkk...i got it lol :)...do i have to chng the squirters from stock? & do i have to chng the acc pumps?...can i keep the stock jets?...the carb to be used is a Holley 4777-2...650cfm DP, mech sec

FastRat

·
Lurker
1,417 Posts
okkkk...i got it lol :)...do i have to chng the squirters from stock? & do i have to chng the acc pumps?...can i keep the stock jets?...the carb to be used is a Holley 4777-2...650cfm DP, mech sec

FastRat

All systems remain normal (squirter/accel pump size and float level setting), except that it may require a SLIGHT change in jetting. At the most you may see a 1-2 jet differance (richer) due to less aeration of the fuel in the bowl. Prolly wouldn't see it on most plug checks but definatly noticable on an O2 system. The trend is for the fuel curve to flatten out some as things are far more consistant in the float bowl throughout fuel flow/temp and engine speed variations.
This might be adjusted best by a small change in HS air bleed size, but it has been a few years since I have been in the thick of the carb deal. :)sphss

·
steelcomp was here
26,512 Posts
All systems remain normal (squirter/accel pump size and float level setting), except that it may require a SLIGHT change in jetting. At the most you may see a 1-2 jet differance (richer) due to less aeration of the fuel in the bowl. Prolly wouldn't see it on most plug checks but definatly noticable on an O2 system. The trend is for the fuel curve to flatten out some as things are far more consistant in the float bowl throughout fuel flow/temp and engine speed variations.
This might be adjusted best by a small change in HS air bleed size, but it has been a few years since I have been in the thick of the carb deal. :)sphss
Well you can't be the resident expert if you're off the curve, now can you. Please do what you can to get yourself cought up. :)devil:D

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Warp - I really appreciate your feedback. This is all about learning the fine points of tuning, consistency, and reaching a programs potential.

The bottom feed needle and seat seems like a no brainer.

The carbs are apart and freshly cleaned since Long Beach. They are going back together with these, BLP float springs and Braswell offshore floats.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts

OK...i searched there website (if i have the rite 1?) and cant find any info on them :(...do u have a link?...any help would be appreciated

thnx FastRat

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Info on the bottom of page 4 and top of page 7.

http://www.blp.com/pdf/NP2006.pdf

Ck your PM's in the morning Fastrat!! ;)
Warp - When I took my carbs apart I discovered they ALREADY had bottom feed needles and seats. Apparently the Carburetor Shop in Ontario, CA has been making these for 10 years or so, and when they built my carbs a couple of years ago they installed them as part of the package.

I spoke with Braswell today and they are mailing me a float package - Off road floats, brackets, Pins, and custom sized bump springs (they have several wire gauges). All metal is stainless. AND, less expensive than Holley to boot. Braswell is very interested in penetrating the Vdrive segment and are willing and helpful with tech advice. Very nice folks there.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
just got my new bottom feed n&s's today...cant wait to try them...just FYI...BPTcarbs sells them from AED...p/n AED5116...i got them on EBay...item# 150296113550...$9.99ea...they come with the o-ring & 2 reuseable nylon gaskets,,,they are really neat looking :)

FastRat

·
Strap on the JATO
305 Posts
Dave is the Shiat, and he was all we ever used until the Holley situation developed.
His "spread bore" 4150 type carb is a VERY nice piece, I wish we could use them!
Warp,
Can you elaborate on this??? I have a 9023 spread bore 4150 type,
but I used a 9022 square bore because it was alot easier to plumb
& hook up a throttle cable. Should I re-think this?

·
Lurker
1,417 Posts
Warp,
Can you elaborate on this??? I have a 9023 spread bore 4150 type,
but I used a 9022 square bore because it was alot easier to plumb
& hook up a throttle cable. Should I re-think this?
Here is the link to the info

http://www.braswell.com/products/main_bodies.htm

I am talking about the 4825 carb shown. They have the throttle bore centerlines moved out. I have only seen one and it was about a year ago. A guy I work with brought one in he was putting on an SB2 he built for a dirt late model.
The are works of art!!!!
In my opinion it doesn't get any nicer than Dave's stuff! ;)

But, you better have deep pocket$! :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts