Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
E-7 Sheepdog (ret)
6,834 Posts
A light sand/bead blasting will make it "pretty".

Actually "polishing" it won't do anythiong and can actually be detrimental becasue it actually creates a thicker "laayer" of water at the surface that is "stuck" to it.

Sand it smooth down to 200-grit roughly IMO.

Most important, make sure the biting edges are smooth, straight, and sharp, with the angle on the BACK side (away from the front, like a chisel).

Make sure there are no cracks, but that imp. will take a TON of HP. Enough cavitation for extended times is hard on anyhting.

I really like my Agg. B.

·
E-7 Sheepdog (ret)
6,834 Posts
What sort of HP/RPM you getting with the B cut?
My fairly mild 454 is making 5,400RPM on that B.

5,900 if I hit the fun-gas switch. :D

Those come up to be 500 and 650 HP respectively. :)
That's with a too-small Holley 4-barrell, a flat-tappet Hydraulic cam, and a dual-plane intake.
Oh yea, Iron OEM heads, Large Oval ports

·
One part at a time...
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice...So what you think I need for this one? 800? Thats my goal...blower motor if I can afford it, laughing gas if money is an issue...leaning towards the gas as you can tell by the name...
<<<<<

·
E-7 Sheepdog (ret)
6,834 Posts
Nice...So what you think I need for this one? 800? Thats my goal...blower motor if I can afford it, laughing gas if money is an issue...leaning towards the gas as you can tell by the name...
<<<<<
What's the base motor you're working with?

800 is a tall HP order without a blower at usable RPM, and if you get that much HP, IMO you really need an A cut on that Aggressor. That will hold you to about 6-grand. Arround 6300 to 6400 with my B.

The bigger the cubes, the easier it is to get that HP at a good RPM too.
Not nearly as tall an order to make that 800 ponies out of 572 cubes as it is to make out of 454 cubes.

I happen to like Nitrous, been running it in this 454 29 years now.
How often do you actually NEED the full engine HP? For me, rarely.
Build the motor for a solid 650HP or so and let it make the other 150 on a plate nitrous system. Much simpler build, MUCH less maintenance on it, less constant stress and wear on it.

·
Registered
557 Posts
If I were you I'd clean it up really good with a skotchbrite and check really closley for cracks. I bought a new one just like that, ran it for 3 mos. and found 3 cracks in it. (700 hp.) There were quite a few with casting flaws which were sold to the public.

ken F

·
One part at a time...
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What's the base motor you're working with?

800 is a tall HP order without a blower at usable RPM, and if you get that much HP, IMO you really need an A cut on that Aggressor. That will hold you to about 6-grand. Arround 6300 to 6400 with my B.

The bigger the cubes, the easier it is to get that HP at a good RPM too.
Not nearly as tall an order to make that 800 ponies out of 572 cubes as it is to make out of 454 cubes.

I happen to like Nitrous, been running it in this 454 29 years now.
How often do you actually NEED the full engine HP? For me, rarely.
Build the motor for a solid 650HP or so and let it make the other 150 on a plate nitrous system. Much simpler build, MUCH less maintenance on it, less constant stress and wear on it.
all I have now is a 454 4-bolt that I will be building up. I'm liking the idea of nitrous whe I need it/want it kinda thing.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
You got an A?
My bronze is somewhere between an A & an AA. Its a heritage impeller (nice copy of a legend impeller). Im turning 5800 but some little tweaks have me thinking Ill be at 5900 or maybe even 6000 next time out.

Go with what smokin said, more cubes the better. With a 540 it has gotten pretty easy to do, as long as you do your research first.

·
One part at a time...
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If I were you I'd clean it up really good with a skotchbrite and check really closley for cracks. I bought a new one just like that, ran it for 3 mos. and found 3 cracks in it. (700 hp.) There were quite a few with casting flaws which were sold to the public.

ken F
Thanks Ken I'll be sure to check when it gets here.

·
One part at a time...
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My bronze is somewhere between an A & an AA. Its a heritage impeller (nice copy of a legend impeller). Im turning 5800 but some little tweaks have me thinking Ill be at 5900 or maybe even 6000 next time out.

Go with what smokin said, more cubes the better. With a 540 it has gotten pretty easy to do, as long as you do your research first.
Ya I was thinkin big inches either way. Whats the stroke/bore for the 540 so I know what to get? Thanks.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I'm running an AA Aggressor M/B 6100 rpm(850 HP?) without any signs of trouble so far. It seems to be a nice piece.

I think you did good...

·
jetboataholic
2,798 Posts
How well do these things hold up to sticks and rocks, compared to aluminum? I know that stainless is the best for that, but they're so frickin' expensive.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts