Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So i thought there was just foam up there but there appers to be a bulk head and i am in no way prepared to cut out that bulk head.

What i am thinking of doing is cutting into the deck to install a pop up bow light and while i am there fix the bow eye. I would then need to run a long ass drill bit thru the foam and connect the light.

this is what i am talking about for a bulk head

Brown is wood and fiber glass and yellow is foam

I was thinking about somthing like this for the light.

are there any other options with out hiring a midget or removing that bulk head?

Also would that light prived me enough room to fix the bow eye?

·
tintingsandiego
1,063 Posts
I opened my bulk head up to allow more air space for music to travel.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I have the same thing going on with mine, and I don't want to cut anything. I was thinking of jamming a small piece of stainless sheet or aluminum behind the backing part so it's tight again (I don't know that they all have that small strip of metal between the posts, some are probably just a simple u bolt), and then put epoxy in the gap around the edge. Haven't had time for it, but that's my plan.

·
Registered
836 Posts
just pull out all the foam (its probably filled with water anyways and needs to come out) peel back the carpet, open up the hole until you can get to the bow eye, and then put the carpet back and staple/glue it into place.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
just pull out all the foam (its probably filled with water anyways and needs to come out) peel back the carpet, open up the hole until you can get to the bow eye, and then put the carpet back and staple/glue it into place.

the foam appears dry. however im not apposed to pulling the foam but am apposed to pulling the bulkhead rigth before season.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Depends on how big your Mitt is :)devil You outa hibernation Bud ?

yea man. its in the 80s here so early spring. its time to get this thing unwrapped and ready to rock and roll. She was running great when i winterized it so i am hopeful it will be good to go this spring.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
There are a few that have used a pressure washer to cut the foam up. The pop up light is the easiest way.

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
I tightened the nuts on my deal with a snap-on air ratchet hose clamped to a 2x2:partyguy:

·
Registered
726 Posts
What about cuttting a hole big enough in the bulkhead for you to climb through? Then you can just repair that opening rather than the whole bulk head. I just did this job on my 18' Hallett Bubbledeck last year, it was not that difficult.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What about cuttting a hole big enough in the bulkhead for you to climb through? Then you can just repair that opening rather than the whole bulk head. I just did this job on my 18' Hallett Bubbledeck last year, it was not that difficult.

I have lost a bunch of weight but i am by no means a little man. Cutting out part of it would mean cutting it all out.

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
cut a medium size hole in the bulkhead and hire a neighbor kid to help you by cleaning out all the foam and getting inside to tighten everything up. I used to be that little slave kid when I was like 10 for my neighbor. He taught me a ton, treated me like a son, and gave me most of my muscle car/hot rod car love. It was always the same with my dad and boats too, except I wasn't the neighbor kid for my dad obviously. I would think you could save yourself a bunch of time and cussing, spend just a tiny amount of money and hardly do any work yourself! :partyguy:

AP

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
cut a medium size hole in the bulkhead and hire a neighbor kid to help you by cleaning out all the foam and getting inside to tighten everything up. I used to be that little slave kid when I was like 10 for my neighbor. He taught me a ton, treated me like a son, and gave me most of my muscle car/hot rod car love. It was always the same with my dad and boats too, except I wasn't the neighbor kid for my dad obviously. I would think you could save yourself a bunch of time and cussing, spend just a tiny amount of money and hardly do any work yourself! :partyguy:

AP
the only neighbors kids around here are from the crack house next door. Im not letting them past my wire.

·
Registered
30 Posts
bow eye

the only neighbors kids around here are from the crack house next door. Im not letting them past my wire.
kinda like hondo said i used the air ratchet on a peice of 1=1box tube its kinda heavy out that far from where you will be working but if you can get enough foam out of the way it would sure beat cutting a hole in the deck i put in a new bow eye just cut to length and ground a few threads off so the nut would go over it and would not crossthread

1 - 20 of 20 Posts