Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
AKA OhOneWS6
2,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think the bowl was drilled slightly off. This is an older Aggressor conversion for a Jacuzzi YJ. It is similar to an Energizer kit. I noticed it when I swapped this pump from my Ambassador to my Rebel. I could see from the back that the nozzle was rotated slightly counter clockwise. Now that I have added a Place droop with ride plate it is very obvious. I checked it with a degree finder at the machined surface on the top of the jet intake. It reads 0*. I also checked the top of the hand hole cover. Again 0*. I checked the ride plate and it has 3* of tilt to it. My question is, how critical is this on a 60 MPH boat? I can think of two ways to fix it. Slot the holes in the place droop so I can rotate it slightly, Slot the holes in the suction housing so I can rotate the bowl slightly. I think I would prefer to slot the suction housing simply because a YJ suction housing has much less resale value than a place droop. Any thoughts or suggestions?

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Unless the boat pulls real hard to one side, just level the ride plate and you'll probably never know the dfference.

Duane HTP

·
AKA OhOneWS6
2,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Unless the boat pulls real hard to one side, just level the ride plate and you'll probably never know the dfference.

Duane HTP
Thanks Duane. That seems like an easy solution. The boat did not pull prior the the droop.

·
AKA OhOneWS6
2,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
btw.....that thing is slowing you down.....it's just DRAAGGGGGING in the water.
That is one of the things I will be checking when back on the water this spring. The droop & plate was a winter project. If it slows down off it comes. Thanks for the concern though.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Matt I'd say your theory is probably correct, a shot from the side and a couple more pics in general would help, I wouldn't drive it till you figure it out anyhow if it is the bowl ,pull it , send it out we'll fix it for you N/C and send it back no matter how old it is :)Tom

·
AKA OhOneWS6
2,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Matt I'd say your theory is probably correct, a shot from the side and a couple more pics in general would help, I wouldn't drive it till you figure it out anyhow if it is the bowl ,pull it , send it out we'll fix it for you N/C and send it back no matter how old it is :)Tom
I will get better pics tomorrow Tom. Once again, You are the man!

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Take a good look at the bottom picture. The reverse gate in pretty is line with the bottom of the boat. Which means the pump in pretty much in line with the boat. The problem is with the ride plate. It is way the hell off. This could be a problem with the mounting bracket or the clocking of the web on the bottom of the droop.+

http://hi-techperformance.com/images/Crooked%20Plate%201339w.jpg

Duane HTP

·
Registered
877 Posts
Take a good look at the bottom picture. The reverse gate in pretty is line with the bottom of the boat. Which means the pump in pretty much in line with the boat. The problem is with the ride plate. It is way the hell off. This could be a problem with the mounting bracket or the clocking of the web on the bottom of the droop.+ http://hi-techperformance.com/images/Crooked Plate 1339w.jpgDuane HTP
what in the heck is the ride plate mounted to in the front. Level would begin there at my shop.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Take a good look at the bottom picture. The reverse gate in pretty is line with the bottom of the boat. Which means the pump in pretty much in line with the boat. The problem is with the ride plate. It is way the hell off. This could be a problem with the mounting bracket or the clocking of the web on the bottom of the droop.+

http://hi-techperformance.com/images/Crooked%20Plate%201339w.jpg

Duane HTP
Duane I kind of see that too but tough to tell from the original photo, Nice PHOTO work too :)

what in the heck is the ride plate mounted to in the front. Level would begin there at my shop.
The Place Droop has a cast rib/brace that facilitates an "add on" ride plate which requires no machining or actual hull attachment , its only attached to the droop and is designed to "butt" very close to the transon, just above "keel" and transom base Tom

Droop examples here
Jet Boat Performance, Droop Snoots

·
AKA OhOneWS6
2,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)

http://hi-techperformance.com/images/Crooked Plate 1339w.jpg

Duane HTP
It's hard to get a pic with so much black. The nozzle is pretty much just as crooked as the ride plate. I will get some better pictures today. Maybe I can highlight the bottom edge of the reverse bucket with chalk or something so you can see it better. Before I put the droop and ride plate on the nozzle was crooked enough that you could see it even with the stock nozzle adapter. It is just much more obvious to the eye now with the ride plate. More pics to come.

·
AKA OhOneWS6
2,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Did a little more investigating. I think it is a combination of the intake and the bowl. I could not get a pic of the gauge on the intake but it is 1* out. I checked it both at the intake and at the hand hole. The pics tell the rest of the story. I really don't think it is that big of a problem. This is not a fast boat. I hope to see 65 this year. I think the easy fix is to shim the ride plate level and leave it be. Anyone else have an an opinion?

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Yep Matt its definatley tweeked , if the intake is in right then either the bowl flange or bowl exit is off index , needs to be clocked and redrilled Tom

·
Amerian Turbine Man
88 Posts
I think the bowl was drilled slightly off. This is an older Aggressor conversion for a Jacuzzi YJ. It is similar to an Energizer kit. I noticed it when I swapped this pump from my Ambassador to my Rebel. I could see from the back that the nozzle was rotated slightly counter clockwise. Now that I have added a Place droop with ride plate it is very obvious. I checked it with a degree finder at the machined surface on the top of the jet intake. It reads 0*. I also checked the top of the hand hole cover. Again 0*. I checked the ride plate and it has 3* of tilt to it. My question is, how critical is this on a 60 MPH boat? I can think of two ways to fix it. Slot the holes in the place droop so I can rotate it slightly, Slot the holes in the suction housing so I can rotate the bowl slightly. I think I would prefer to slot the suction housing simply because a YJ suction housing has much less resale value than a place droop. Any thoughts or suggestions?

PM sent

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Matt we found this old pic looks you had sent us awhile back like there was some drill work done ., maybe someone going after a broken stud before you got it like we talked earlier, and would likley explain a lot , Josh still says send it in regardless he'll work some magic for ya N/C ;) Tom !

·
AKA OhOneWS6
2,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
OK. More pictures and several of them. Josh noticed in one of my earlier posts that it looked like the exit of the bowl had been re-drilled in the past. He was right. The holes were full of epoxy. I was able to clean the all out and chase the thread. There were no broken bolts. They all cleaned up just fine. I moved the studs and re-installed the droop.

I checked to see if the hull was level on the trailer. It is within a 1/6"

I re-installed the droop and Doh! Now the nozzle is tilted the opposite way about 4* :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
After:

Before:

I'll pull the pump and check the intake sometime soon unless you see something else I am missing. If it was boating season I would not be spending this much time on it. Since we are on down time it's kinda fun to try and sort it out.

Thanks for all you help JBP Crew!!!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts