Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Broke Member
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The guy I bought my boat from told me that he had rebuilt the jet and had flipped the bowl around. Is this good or bad?? And are there any advantages/disadvantages to doing that?

Nathan

·
Registered
854 Posts
The guy I bought my boat from told me that he had rebuilt the jet and had flipped the bowl around. Is this good or bad?? And are there any advantages/disadvantages to doing that?

Nathan
Thats a new one for me . Is this another E bay racing trick?

·
Premium Member
7,464 Posts

Nathan
There are a couple things that come to mind , if the Oil bath fill plus are 2 and 4 (vs 10 & 2) it could have been "clocked" to use a Berkeley Jet o Vator if the fill plugs are now elswhere from traditional and it (the bowl) has been converted from oil bath to grease lube (zerks vs plugs) it doesnt likely matter in the grand scheme ,but dont understand the reasoning and would look odd IMO Tom

·
Broke Member
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Would having the bowl flipped create more downward pressure off the nozzle without having a jetovator? more or less a "poor mans jetovator". This is what the bowl looks like now...

Attachments

·
"Need For Speed"
1,210 Posts
Would having the bowl flipped create more downward pressure off the nozzle without having a jetovator? more or less a "poor mans jetovator". This is what the bowl looks like now...
Monster,

I am fairly certain a JC bowl is neutral at the nozzle. I can't imagine why anyone would turn it upside down. With it upside down you cannot put lube in to lubricate the shaft and bushings. IMO you should reindex it 180 degrees and fill the bowl with lube. Am I correct on this Tom?

Gear

·
Premium Member
7,464 Posts
Monster,

I am fairly certain a JC bowl is neutral at the nozzle. I can't imagine why anyone would turn it upside down. With it upside down you cannot put lube in to lubricate the shaft and bushings. IMO you should reindex it 180 degrees and fill the bowl with lube. Am I correct on this Tom?

Gear
Gear and Monster , IF the bowl is now "Grease lube" (not oil bath) short of "jacking" the seal out you should be able to pack enough grease into it (one fill plug removed) to make it work , whatever the "motive" or logic was by the installer to install it that way still escapes me however, chances are the bowl maybe cracked or "prior repaired" (most common reason to fill it with grease which it wasn't designed for) or the line bore may be off , tail shaft bushings misinstalled or the bowl or suction mating surfaces warped or mismachined (seen this after powder coat) our someone was rotating the bowl for percieved "fitment" issues, The problem is once grease lubed , bascially forever grease lubed, its damn near impossible to heat/clean/ evacutate grease from the inner cavity won't say we havent ever done this (converted eg bore and sleeve) but would prefer to Keep Berks oil bath from I'd pull the bowl and inspect the corona area around the tailshaft bushing area carefully for cracks welds etc C bowls are cheap and plentiful ;) Tom

·
Premium Member
5,116 Posts
Its simple, somebody told him it added 10mph so he done it:cool:

·
Premium Member
7,810 Posts
The guy probably put it back together and then realized he installed the bowl up-side-down by mistake and figured he could tell the next buyer it's a performance upgrade.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts