Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
first run of the season and I dropped the ball big time,
forgot to change the water valve from running on a hose to running from the jet,

idled it bit to warm it up while the trailer was getting parked, the made a few quick pulls, I knew something was up cause it was way louder than usual,

opened the valve with engine just cooking, which was probably worse than running it with no water considering the river was ice cold, and she started puking white smoke,

I really hope its not the block cause its a solid bottom end,
I am ready to invest into a set of heads, and I'm thinking a cam swap when I'm in there,

I'm running a high rise single plain manifold, and log style exhaust manifolds, which I want to keep for the time being,
I'm have an A impeller but am running an AA and turn about 4300 rpm right now,

leaning towards a set of aluminum heads from brodix, not sure what series, and a solid roller cam
any recommendations for combos,

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
first run of the season and I dropped the ball big time,
forgot to change the water valve from running on a hose to running from the jet,
idled it bit to warm it up while the trailer was getting parked, the made a few quick pulls, I knew something was up cause it was way louder than usual,
opened the valve with engine just cooking, which was probably worse than running it with no water considering the river was ice cold, and she started puking white smoke,
Water injected exhaust is suppose to blow steam. If the motor was still running when you opened the valve you MAY NOT have hurt anything......Do a compression/leak down test before you rip it apart....Remember, it wasn't totally dry. The "trailer" water will still be full up to the lowest engine connection, usually the front inlets. I have done similar "Oh Shits" and got away with it........Kinda depends on how hard and how long the "pulls" were.......Ray

PS Always direct "some" water towards the pump when running on the trailer, and keep it to a minimum amount of time........(Oh boy, here we go again about running a jet on the trailer)....

·
Boat Nut
5,131 Posts
Just another reason to not run on the trailer IMO White steam was the water boiling, as it wat introduced to the hot engine.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Water injected exhaust is suppose to blow steam. If the motor was still running when you opened the valve you MAY NOT have hurt anything......Do a compression/leak down test before you rip it apart....Remember, it wasn't totally dry. The "trailer" water will still be full up to the lowest engine connection, usually the front inlets. I have done similar "Oh Shits" and got away with it........Kinda depends on how hard and how long the "pulls" were.......Ray

PS Always direct "some" water towards the pump when running on the trailer, and keep it to a minimum amount of time........(Oh boy, here we go again about running a jet on the trailer)....
I take usually take the PTO off the jet if I'm going to run it for awhile,

was just the first start of the new season, ran it on the trailer at my shop so i could put a timing light on it, and that kind fo stuff, I had also filled the block with coolant over the winter so i wanted to not have that drain into the river,

but something is for sure blown, head gasket or cracked head maybe cylinder wall,

I'm a diesel engine mechanic, and I know what kind of steam usually come out, this was puking white smoke, like tons, got about 300 feet from the dock and you could barely see the dock behind us, limped it back it barely ran and had no power at all,

plus its a good excuse to sink some money into it, its faster than all my buddies wakeboard boats, but it ain't fast enough,

was looking on summit found a hyd. roller cam kit and a looking at a few sets of brodix heads, going to CC the 1's on there when i get them off see if I can get something with a smaller chamber and bump the compression up a bit too

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
I have done this before and you need to pull the logs and inspect the runners! Alu. runners will burn through to the water chamber causing an OT header effect! Will get hot enough to melt flaps, logs and other Acc. WT:)devil

1 - 8 of 8 Posts