Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Along with CCW in a bar.

PHOENIX -- Arizona law currently states that the only time you can display a weapon to someone is if that person threatens your life.

Showing that you're armed based on anything less than a deadly threat is illegal.

"A display of deadly force could be construed as aggravated assault of a threatening/intimidating charge," said Phoenix Police Sgt. Trent Crump.

That is, until Wednesday.

On September 30, Crump says the way to protect yourself changes.

The new law says if someone merely threatens to hurt you physically, such as a bruise or a scrape, you can display a weapon.

"You can now tell people you have a firearm with the insinuation that I have it for self-protection and that has a justification afforded to it," said Crump.

In other words, if you find yourself in an altercation that may turn physical, not necessarily deadly, state law will now allow you to touch, grab or hold a gun with the intention of letting the other person know you have it.

"You are also allowed to reach into things now, be it a backpack, compartment or other place, with the insinuation I will use it if need be," said Crump.

The change in state law doesn't sit well with some.

"I was always brought up, don't show it unless you're going to use it," said Jonathan Sanchez of Phoenix.

Like it or not, the change becomes law in less than 48 hours.

"It's like saying I'm going to show you this gun but I'm not going to use it, I don't agree with that," said Tina Fillian of Mesa.

To read the Arizona state statute that covers justification for defensive display of a weapon, click here.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
The change in the law is correct and is how it should have been since the issue of CCW. You can be prosecuted for merely preparing to be attacked.

The A hole who would have assaulted you, before this law went into effect calls the cops saying he was threatened with a gun.

Good guy gets busted. Bad guy gets away.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, now I can show my gun to the guy swinging tire iron at me and not go to jail. I'd rather scare him off than pop him.

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
Yep, now I can show my gun to the guy swinging tire iron at me and not go to jail. I'd rather scare him off than pop him.
Excuse me BUT if someone's swinging a tire iron at me then I don't have a problem 'popping him".
Rio

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
I can see it now:

Officer: why did you point your gun at that guy?

Good citizen: because he looked at me mean like and I thought he might want to hurt me.

Officer: Oh, ok then. Have a good day.

Man I can see alot of problems with this one!

·
Passin Glass
2,825 Posts
Along with CCW in a bar.

PHOENIX -- Arizona law currently states that the only time you can display a weapon to someone is if that person threatens your life.

Showing that you're armed based on anything less than a deadly threat is illegal.

"A display of deadly force could be construed as aggravated assault of a threatening/intimidating charge," said Phoenix Police Sgt. Trent Crump.

That is, until Wednesday.

On September 30, Crump says the way to protect yourself changes.

The new law says if someone merely threatens to hurt you physically, such as a bruise or a scrape, you can display a weapon.

"You can now tell people you have a firearm with the insinuation that I have it for self-protection and that has a justification afforded to it," said Crump.

In other words, if you find yourself in an altercation that may turn physical, not necessarily deadly, state law will now allow you to touch, grab or hold a gun with the intention of letting the other person know you have it.

"You are also allowed to reach into things now, be it a backpack, compartment or other place, with the insinuation I will use it if need be," said Crump.

The change in state law doesn't sit well with some.

"I was always brought up, don't show it unless you're going to use it," said Jonathan Sanchez of Phoenix.

Like it or not, the change becomes law in less than 48 hours.

"It's like saying I'm going to show you this gun but I'm not going to use it, I don't agree with that," said Tina Fillian of Mesa.

To read the Arizona state statute that covers justification for defensive display of a weapon, click here.
LMFAO... " I'm gonna scrape you" :p

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Excuse me BUT if someone's swinging a tire iron at me then I don't have a problem 'popping him".
Rio
If you kill him your problems will just be starting. Saving your life is paramount but if you can exit, do so.

·
E-7 Sheepdog (ret)
6,834 Posts
The change in the law is correct and is how it should have been since the issue of CCW. You can be prosecuted for merely preparing to be attacked.

The A hole who would have assaulted you, before this law went into effect calls the cops saying he was threatened with a gun.

Good guy gets busted. Bad guy gets away.
Yes, it should be the same.

99% of CCW permit holders (that carry) will treat the new law as the same as the old law tho, they are not going to "go for leather" unless they have determined a need to "clear leather", and the only time that is needed, is about 0.4 sec. from dropping the hammer on the bad guy (or gal, I am equal opportunity).

The ones complaining about this law smack exactly like the people who campaign against concealed carry shall issue laws.
They said "it'll be daily shootouts in the streets, the "wild west" all over again".
Didn't happen.
20 years and 43 states of proof now that it hasn't happened

Now it's "they'll be waving guns arround in the street left and riight".
Nope, not gonna happen.

The deterent effect among criminals, is the NOT KNOWING WHO HAS A GUN, and the Concealed Carriers know, understand, and LIKE this fact of it.

It's really no-one's business at any given moment in public whether I am armed or not, much of the time, my wife is unaware (if we meet in public, at home she sees me dress and knows).
The only time anyone needs to find out I am packing one of my .45's, is that 0.4 secconds immediately before they just might die.

You STILL never "pull it out" unless you full-well intend to use it.
If you can manage to not use it then, good.
If you have reached the position of pulling it, YOU (or someone else) should be already, or immediately, calling the PD to press charges on the person who just assaulted you.
You DO NOT give THEM the ability to call and report you for threatening with a gun.
You call and report, and press charges on, the assault
that forced you to "fill your hand".
I do like "old west" phrases sometimes. :D

·
639 Posts
So, you don't think the bad guys will call the cops and say you pulled a gun on them for no reason or make up a story you tried to rob them? You can still get nailed for brandishing just as easy as before.

Here is what you do...even in Cali. If you present your weapon, call the cops IMMEDIATELY even when the assailant backs down or runs away. They are very likely to believe you when you call them FIRST...and they actually like catching bad guys! If the other guy calls...it will be after you do...and they are actually looking FOR HIM. They say..yeah, we'll be right out to see HIM when he calls - to get his statement "in person" - bad guys don't like visits from the cops...but they can call the cops and report something without having to be seen in person if they call first. See ....when the bad guy calls first, they have no reason to suspect him...so they just ask him what happened. But when you call, they have a LOT more questions for him and want to see him in person. Again...bad guys don't like to see the cops in person. Also, if you presented your weapon in public, look around for witnesses. Tell the cops who they can go talk to so they can coo-berate your story.

But, be prepared to surrender your weapon, and maybe not get it back. Still worth it if you and your loved ones are alive. That is why it is a good idea to have ~$500 handguns (glock, springfield XD, and etc) on your CCW. If the cops keep it...no big deal. But, if you register your Kimber 1911 that you had converted to 10mm and have about $2500+ or more into it...you are not real excited about losing that gun.

Of course there are always exceptions, perhaps you have had problems with the law in the past, you hate cops, or you are a resident of pheonix. :D

·
639 Posts
The ones complaining about this law smack exactly like the people who campaign against concealed carry shall issue laws.
They said "it'll be daily shootouts in the streets, the "wild west" all over again".
What is funny is that the people that say it will be like the wild west think the wild west was a gigantic shoot out based on hollywood movies. When in reality, there are only 1 or 2 documented "shoot outs" and even then, it was not like in the movies. Interesting enough...bad guys in the wild west loved easy targets just like bad guys today....meaning they mostly went after unarmed people.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
So, you don't think the bad guys will call the cops and say you pulled a gun on them for no reason or make up a story you tried to rob them? You can still get nailed for brandishing just as easy as before.

Here is what you do...even in Cali. If you present your weapon, call the cops IMMEDIATELY even when the assailant backs down or runs away. They are very likely to believe you when you call them FIRST...and they actually like catching bad guys! If the other guy calls...it will be after you do...and they are actually looking FOR HIM. They say..yeah, we'll be right out to see HIM when he calls - to get his statement "in person" - bad guys don't like visits from the cops...but they can call the cops and report something without having to be seen in person if they call first. See ....when the bad guy calls first, they have no reason to suspect him...so they just ask him what happened. But when you call, they have a LOT more questions for him and want to see him in person. Again...bad guys don't like to see the cops in person. Also, if you presented your weapon in public, look around for witnesses. Tell the cops who they can go talk to so they can coo-berate your story.

But, be prepared to surrender your weapon, and maybe not get it back. Still worth it if you and your loved ones are alive. That is why it is a good idea to have ~$500 handguns (glock, springfield XD, and etc) on your CCW. If the cops keep it...no big deal. But, if you register your Kimber 1911 that you had converted to 10mm and have about $2500+ or more into it...you are not real excited about losing that gun.

Of course there are always exceptions, perhaps you have had problems with the law in the past, you hate cops, or you are a resident of pheonix. :D

Where is this place you speak of? :)hand

·
Registered
65 Posts
I don't think it's a bad law, but I hope people don't make poor tactical decisions based on it and end up hurt or worse. Or in legal trouble cause they got into a dispute that turns physical, then end up pulling their gun on somebody. Bottom line is, if you're justifiably in fear for your life, then you should use any tool at your disposal to protect your "gift of life" (As Ted Nugent put it :))

·
Registered
5,838 Posts
I think its a great law! What do you think a cop would do if you threatened his life or swung a tire iron at him. he's going to draw his weapon to warn you, then the second warning might be a bullet in the hip or leg!

Average citizens should have that same right that an officer does. Since I live in pantywaste CA, I dont carry a firearm. However if Im at my home, and hear someone outside or feel threatened, I want a law in place that doesn't make me think twice to grab my gun.

I wish CA would support gun owners a little more.

As long as people don't abuse this law, it should be a great one!

·
Banned
1,019 Posts
Can you carry in church in Arizona? What about town hall meetings? City Council meetings? Voting booths? Supermarkets?

Where is it illegal to carry a weapon in Arizona?

·
Premium Member
4,704 Posts
Can you carry in church in Arizona? What about town hall meetings? City Council meetings? Voting booths? Supermarkets?

All federal buildings state No Guns Allowed. Including Concealed Carry. Bashas Markets. Central Courts Building in Phoenix and All other courts. Police stations, Sheriffs Department.

Used to be able to Check them in but I don't think you can do that no mo.

Open carry is illegal in Tempe by ASU. But everywhere else that hasn't been tainted is all good!!:)devil

Most CC folks will not brandish there firearm for a punkass b!tch. Give that same punk any type of weapon. Its on. As it should be.

Kinda of fun watching the Californians and Other Anti Gun state folks freak at the local 7-11 or Circle K's. Their so used to bad guys walking into the store with guns. Love the look on there face when the Cashier says Its OK We Arizonans are allowed to carry guns in public.:D

·
Registered
3,006 Posts

I love the smell of freedom in the dry heat. :)devil

1 - 20 of 70 Posts