Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Full Of It.
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the slightest bend in the lower bit of my skeg. Its enough to make the boat want to lean over a little bit. It happened on a concrete launch ramp last season when the trim pump took a crap.

If you look at it you can't tell unless you really eyeball it close, or put a straightedge on it. Its really a very slight angle, I am surprised it has such an effect.

Can I fix it myself ya think?

Can I just beat it back over with a mallet?
Probably won't work.. might cause other damage..

Grab it with a pair of channel locks and bend it back....
I'm worried it might snap...

Grind down the high side?
Then it will be thinner than it should be..

Heat it up with a torch first, then bend it back?
Yeah right....

If not, where should I take it.....

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
The skeg on the old bravo drive i had on my warlock was bent when I bought the boat. I just backed the skeg up with a 3lb sledge and hit it with a good sized mallet that had plastic ends on it. You can't even tell it was repaired. I didn't have to hit it very hard to straighten it.

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,635 Posts
I have the slightest bend in the lower bit of my skeg. Its enough to make the boat want to lean over a little bit. It happened on a concrete launch ramp last season when the trim pump took a crap.

If you look at it you can't tell unless you really eyeball it close, or put a straightedge on it. Its really a very slight angle, I am surprised it has such an effect.

Can I fix it myself ya think?

Can I just beat it back over with a mallet?
Probably won't work.. might cause other damage..

Grab it with a pair of channel locks and bend it back....
I'm worried it might snap...

Grind down the high side?
Then it will be thinner than it should be..

Heat it up with a torch first, then bend it back?
Yeah right....

If not, where should I take it.....
try and bend it back and wether its snaps off or not, order 1 of these for it;)

http://theoriginalskeggard.com/

i put 1 on our lil skiboat cause i'm a jetguy:D when i got the boat the skeg was flawless, and after a few trips with me at the controls, well i had to get a skeggard:D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.