Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well - my bellows has been leaking water. I didn't notice it. Now my gimbal bearing and drive shaft u-joint is toast. Exreme rust that caused a grumblig noise regardless of whether it was in gear or not.

The shop I took it to wants about 4 to 5 grand to fix. Is it really this expensive to fix? New parts include gimbal bearing, u-joint, bellows, seals, and just about all the seals between the transom and drive.

Sound out of line?

·
custom boat lover
461 Posts
Well - my bellows has been leaking water. I didn't notice it. Now my gimbal bearing and drive shaft u-joint is toast. Exreme rust that caused a grumblig noise regardless of whether it was in gear or not.

The shop I took it to wants about 4 to 5 grand to fix. Is it really this expensive to fix? New parts include gimbal bearing, u-joint, bellows, seals, and just about all the seals between the transom and drive.

Sound out of line?
How old is the boat??? Did they really find the leak there?:))eek:))

·
Registered
2,149 Posts

Sound out of line?
I don't know what shop you're going to, but with the parts mentioned I feel you are getting hogged out by quite a bit. Where are you located? I am in the most expensive area in the country (San Francisco Bay Area) and that sounds stupid high.:|err

This is less than a days work. Been doing it since the mid 80's, it's a hobby now.....;)

GT :)hand

·
custom boat lover
461 Posts
I don't know what shop you're going to, but with the parts mentioned I feel you are getting hogged out by quite a bit. Where are you located? I am in the most expensive area in the country (San Francisco Bay Area) and that sounds stupid high.:|err

This is less than a days work. Been doing it since the mid 80's, it's a hobby now.....;)

GT :)hand
Sounds like some body is trying to make up for the hard times every one is in.:(:( Crazy stuff :))eek:))

·
It's what we do
709 Posts
We are a Premier Mercruiser Dealer and if you pm or fax me the details of their quote and I will gladly go over it with you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.