Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a water leak and suspect the bellows in my Bravo 1 outdrive.

• Is replacing the bellows, or finding the leak if that's not it, a reasonable do-it-yourself job for a first timer?
•*Are any special tools needed?
•*Is is hard to get the alignment right?

I do all my own work on my cars, boats, bikes, house, etc, but I have not messed with an I/O before.

I guess virtually anything could be considered a do it yourself job (I know a guy that build his own hull from scratch), but is this the kind of work were it's better just to fork out the $100/hr and avoid potential problems?

·
"On the road again..."
9,356 Posts
I'd figure it to be cheaper to get an experienced shop to do it right the first time. I agree with your last statement. I work on a lot of my own stuff from diesel engines, an 86' Porsche, to my golf cart but leave the gear end of my boat to the experts.

Even with a manual there are a number of things you just have to know and probably a few tools you wouldn't necessarily have.

Just my opinion......:D

·
Registered
373 Posts
I was a first timer once, I had to pull the drive so I could pull the engine and replace the ring gear on the fly wheel, I did it all in the Havasu Landing camp ground using one of there big trees and a chain hoist. I was not giving up my vacation to any parts failure, I would have been back on the water the same day, but even though I started at 4 no light in the morning, that early morning sun caught up to me and kicked my ass. I think it only took about 4 hours but by the end it was a half a turn, to every 2 wipes of sweat.

If you do all of your own work, you probably wont be happy with someone else working on your shit.

Good luck what ever you decide to do.

·
Registered
373 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts