Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Working on my big boat.
I just installed a new SEI bravo lower due to the old one being all corroded and drain plug corroded in.
Now I have gear oil leaking out of the water intakes on the side of the new lower unit. my setup is a 1989 bravo 1. The new lower unit has the extra oil passage that I tapped and plugged.
First install I had only plugged the oil passage. Installed and Leaked
Second install I added the quad seal, thinking the plug might be leaking. Still leaking.

I am also thinking that this oil is leaking way to fast to be coming thru the threads of my 1/4" plug. When I added the quad seal that really shouldn't be needed, the leak stayed the same. Must not be coming from there.

When my original lower was on, I didn't have any leaks.
Where could this be leaking from ? Upper ?

Thanks

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I forgot to ad additional info that: I did notice some consistsnt 1/4" bubbles comming up into the reservoir jug when running. I noticed this when pulling it out of the marina to bring home for the winter. I knew I had an issue, but assumed it was the lower. Of course the drain plug wouldnt come out for anything.

where to look next ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
You might make certain that the orange crush washer/oil seal between the upper and lower gear cases didn't move out of place when you put that you lower on.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts