Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a buddy of mine has got a outdrive for sale, the problem is how do i verify that it has the better gears in it without taking it apart, it has a 2"shorty lower with a nose cone on it, but how do i tell if the upper is upgraded, the case has all the decals removed so no XR markings on it that i can find

·
It's what we do
723 Posts
Just pull off the top cap and you can see the gears without making a mess. You will have to drain a small amount first and lightly pinch the reservoir hose with vice grips. Edit: unless, of course, the drive is off the boat.

·
It's what we do
723 Posts
The gear housing on a Bravo One and XR are very similar aside from the propshaft and carrier. As stated, the XR does have a 1 1/4" shaft. It also has a billet carrier. The gears are similar as the are both straight cut, net forged gears. Only the tooth count is different. The gear ratio is changed in the driveshaft housing (upper) on the Bravo One and in the gear housing (lower) on the XR. A gear combination of 15/19 in the lower is used for the 1.50:1 ratio on both drives and it's the only ratio offered for the Bravo One. The XR also offers a 15/17 and 17/18 gear combination of 1.35:1 and 1.26:1 respectively. The gear inside diameter that locates the propshaft is slightly different between the XR and Bravo One but the splines are the same.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts