Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have major gimbal slop i have a twin 454 bravo one set up in my offshore and I can move either drive (cross bar removed) back and forth between 4 and 5 inches before the little arm going through the inside gimbal plate moves at all.... where is the wear or slop? is it the pin that the gimble rotate on? or is it in the gimble ring? it's a ton of slop and actually is scarry to drive when it finally decides to turn it almost flip a U turn,,, and that can be under full throttle... very dangerous actually are the gimbals repairable or do they just need to be replaced all together? thanks so much ronnie

·
It's what we do
723 Posts
I returned your pm. :)

Hi Ron,
The slop is in the gimbal ring and it is replacable. We do them all the time. Unfortunately, most of the time the engine and gimbal assy have to be removed to do it properly. The cutout usually doesn't allow for the nut on the top of the steering pin to be removed. It is better to do it in a fixture anyway as the whole gimbal is disassembled to replace the gimbal ring.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gimbal arm slop

can the gimbal ring be repaired, welded, machined etc to fix the slop? or does it have to be replaced? thanks ron

1 - 3 of 3 Posts