Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much horsepower can a Bravo3 handle? I am stuck for now with it and want to start engine mods on my 7.4.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've been throwing a 628hp/652tq 509 at a 2.0/28 labbed prop for over 6 years with no problems....you just have to be smart and not hammer it out of the hole....

·
deckboat owner
481 Posts
I believe the upper is same between the two. You can either swap the drives, or just the lower and end up with a single prop Bravo. You lose some speed from the extra drag of the 2nd prop and longer cavitation plate in the water. I liked mine like I said in your engine thread. I used to take some faster higher powered boats off the line and up to 50-55. It took a long time for them to catch up. I like it when docking too. I won't argue it's not for everyone, but my family was usually aboard so I didn't miss the last few mph's often. But if you ever do get the itch, just swap lower units, and there you go. I would imagine, but never heard, that the torque limit may be a bit lower for a BIII thought. I have to imagine that the prop shafts would be weaker. Maybe that isn't a factor though too. Seen quite a few big cruisers with 502s and 496 mags ahead of BIIIs, so for sure you can put that much to 'em. The weight/size of your boat and how you drive will determine how hard you can beat on it, and maybe a drive shower if it runs HOT all the time. But you see some CRAZY hp ahead of stock Bravos and other than taking it easier on holes shots, I wouldn't think you would have to treat the BIII too much nicer.
Good Luck!

·
It's what we do
723 Posts
The uppers are the same. However you will find that 90% of Bravo III's have a much lower gear ratio than you would use with a Bravo One and the gear ratio on a Bravo One is changed in the upper. If your BIII has a 2.2:1ratio, you will have a hard time finding a prop to work if you put a Bravo One lower on it.

·
Platinum Member
2,014 Posts
I've been throwing a 628hp/652tq 509 at a 2.0/28 labbed prop for over 6 years with no problems....you just have to be smart and not hammer it out of the hole....
X2 :)hand some boats do well with a Bravo 3

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
the uppers are the same. However you will find that 90% of bravo iii's have a much lower gear ratio than you would use with a bravo one and the gear ratio on a bravo one is changed in the upper. If your biii has a 2.2:1ratio, you will have a hard time finding a prop to work if you put a bravo one lower on it.
x2 x3 x4...

·
Registered
8 Posts
My Stingray 230LX with a 450hp 383 went 69 with a Bravo 3, 70.2 with a Std Bravo 1, and 71.2 with a -2 sportmaster on the B1 drive. I'm spinning my motor at 6100 RPM max. Just keep them cool and try not to push the gears through the upper cap on takeoff.

·
Registered
32 Posts
bravo 3

i have some props for sale. 2sets of 28 and two sets of 30 pitch props 4 sets in all 500 per set perfect shape 1-530-400-6201 if you need them

1 - 9 of 9 Posts