Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I apoligize if there's a thread I couldn't find one. Anyways what do you guys use for break in oil, on flat tappet camchafts?

I was told use...Delo 400
Magnesium 23
Calcium 3343
Zinc 1378
Viscosity 100 C 15.95
TBN* 10.63

because of the high Zinc.

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
delo still has less zinc than rotella, we do oil samples from time to time and when we send delo in, we generally have a higher metal particulate count than with rotella. that means rotella is doin a better job;) i'd go with rotella t and go by the gm dealership and see if they have any eos on the shelf, and make sure its the older formulation(it'll say new on it if its the new shit that don't work)

·
E-7 Sheepdog (ret)
6,834 Posts
I ran the same Castrol Syntech that I have run every day for the last 5 years.

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
No synthetic for me on break in, joe gibb is what my motor guy used on mine. After that some off road only(not legal for street use) valvoline 20-50. Here we go again.lol :)sphss:(:(

·
Driver
3,195 Posts
I use a oil made by texas refinery has lots of zince but also lots of moly

·
New here
4,219 Posts
Any oil professional will tell you the non-syn for break-in is a total myth. GM has been using if for several years on upper-scale motors, right from birth. Doesn't hurt a thing.

I just first-time-fired a 302 in my '52 Ford Crestliner Convertible. I don't plan on running that motor on syn, so I put in Valvo 10-40 and one can of GM EOS engine oil supplement (for flat tappet). I changed the oil after 1 hour of running and put another can in with the same spec oil. No flat cam. I haven't lost a cam yet running the GM EOS for break-in. I know TWO people who have ran without it, thinking it was snake-oil. They BOTH lost the first cams in their motors. Now they know.

So, you can run whatever oil you want for break-in. Just add whatever EOS you want. GM is my pick, but I would not be afraid of the CompCams brand or any other brand that has a break-in specific product.

·
Registered
110 Posts
non-synthetic valvoline and 1 bottle of lucas oil break in additive.
I just bought some of the lucas tb-zinc break oil. they also recommend that for flat tappet motors you can always use the additive not just for break in.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts