Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some advice breaking in new cam and lifters in fresh rebuilt short block. Paper work that came with the motor says to add a bottle of zinc to the oil and change the oil after the first 2 hours. Add the second bottle of zinc after changing the oil and change oil again after 20hrs. Do I have to do a certain break in procedure for the cam? I remember having to run new engines at 2,000 RPM for 10 min or so to break in the cam.

·
Registered
265 Posts
when I had my motor built by a very reputable race motor builder we used a really good oil with the zinc additive and ran the boat at 2000-2500rpm for about 20 mins. he said for a tappet cam if you don't do it this way then the cam will go flat. after we ran it for the 20-30 mins we shut it down changed the oil and added another bottle of the zinc and went to the lake and ran it around the lake at 2500-3000 rpm for a few hours changed the oil again and since then ive been givin her hell and all is good. A good oil with high zinc levels is your friend in a flat tappet motor

·
Already miss the 310/562
13,551 Posts
when I had my motor built by a very reputable race motor builder we used a really good oil with the zinc additive and ran the boat at 2000-2500rpm for about 20 mins. he said for a tappet cam if you don't do it this way then the cam will go flat. after we ran it for the 20-30 mins we shut it down changed the oil and added another bottle of the zinc and went to the lake and ran it around the lake at 2500-3000 rpm for a few hours changed the oil again and since then ive been givin her hell and all is good. A good oil with high zinc levels is your friend in a flat tappet motor
My understanding of the procedure described above is that upon initial first run 30 +/- minutes you need to ensure that the came has as much oil/lube as possible thus the RPM of 2k - 3k...

Not sure how available this oil is but it would be cheap insurance for the first few oil changes before switching to a full synthetic... I also dont know if doubling up on a zinc additive COMBINED with this oil is a good idea... At any rate this is a big issue and my engine builder/machinst buddy here in MO said that he lost MANY flat tappet cams when the oil mfgs removed the zinc and phosphorus from the conventional oils... Even lost some PREmaturely a while after break in... I for one wont build another flat tappet engine due to this, no matter the cost... In the long run a roller lifter set up is way cheaper than the cost and headache of loosing lobes on a cam...

[url]http://www.valvoline.com//products/consumer-products/motor-oil/racing-motor-oil/9[/URL]

Valvoline.com > FAQs > Motor Oil Car FAQs > Racing Oil

1 - 5 of 5 Posts