Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
no need 2 fake it.
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
bolt in my pump. the person who owned it before me didn't use stainless bolts so when i was taking the old studs out to replace them with new ones there was one on the bottom of the bowl that broke off. great, so i tried using an e-z out, that didn't work. i'm guessing my next option is to drill and tap the hole and try to refurbish what got messed up. any other options?

2,056 Posts
bolt in my pump. the person who owned it before me didn't use stainless bolts so when i was taking the old studs out to replace them with new ones there was one on the bottom of the bowl that broke off. great, so i tried using an e-z out, that didn't work. i'm guessing my next option is to drill and tap the hole and try to refurbish what got messed up. any other options?
Why didn't the ez out work? FYI there are better extractors than the ez out. I use a Blue Point set that is a non tapered shaft that works well. I hope you didn't break the ezout off in there!

·
no need 2 fake it.
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
its just so rusted in there that the ezout wouldnt turn it and i was afraid of breaking it off in there. thats why i stopped. i'm hoping to get down to vic's shop before he goes outta town for the weekend tomorrow morning. but if not i'm kinda nervous about tapping it. and yah, i know there are better extractors than that- i believe that i have a nice snapon bluepoint set at the shop and i wanna check that out too. i am just nervous about this and hoping i can get it to work

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
sometimes if you are really lucky you can take the ID of the bolt out to just about the threads it was put into and break em loose that way. The thinner the bolt gets the easier it is to get out, but cut it too thin and you get into the threads of the housing. No bueno.

·
jetboataholic
2,798 Posts
Did it break off flush or is there part of it sticking out.

Another trick that works on some, if part of it is above the surface, is to drill a hole all the way through the bolt, then use some vice grips on it. But soak it real good with some good penetrating oil, and if you're not too nervous and aren't concerned about the finish on the bowl, you can heat the area around the bolt, don't heat the actual bolt. But this is only a last resort on the bowl because it is probably painted or powder coated. Hope this helps some.

Good luck.:)hand

·
Registered
269 Posts
If you have a MIG welder or someone that does, weld a nut to the broken part of the stud/bolt on the inside part of the nut, fill it hot and fast. The heat will loosen it up and allow you get a wrench on it and rock it back and forth with PB blaster. I have done this for years with studs/bolts.
T.J.

·
no need 2 fake it.
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
TJS, that's my plan as of right now, can't work on it til about 4 or so but i'll get back to you guys when i figure it out!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts